ACT Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SatayKing, 29th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Supposed to be held 16 October but with Covid-19, early voting is encouraged and voting commenced yesterday. Took advantage of that and we voted on the way for a visit to a walking trail.

I like the electronic voting arrangements and no in-your-face spruikers permitted. Downside is no sausage sizzle or cake stalls.

Mods: Please move to a more appropriate thread if you want.

Todd likes this.
  2. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

@SatayKing - what's your tip for the election results? I am thinking it will be same old, with Barr and Rattenbury joining and sneaking home for a win. Don't think the masses are that worried about the cost of living in Canberra - which is Coe's platform. I actually think Barr and Labour have done pretty well with the ACT economy - not necessarily their own budget but the ACT economy and standard of living has consistently risen and the residents are benefitting in general. Also did very well with COVID..

3. SatayKing

My personal view is a Labor/Green Government but it could be close. When the election map is looked at there are not as many votes required to get Liberal in unlike the general view Canberra is a Labor town. Maybe at Federal level but a lot of people in the Southern suburbs are pretty ****** off as they feel they have been ignored with a focus being only at developing areas and even maintenance of existing facilities in the Southern areas close to non-existant.

I don't know much about them Southerners as the area doesn't appear on any maps I have. Even the satnav shows error overflow if I foolishly try to enter some unknown name.

4. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Those signs are a real distraction whilst driving on any major road! esp the gde..

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Like you I think the current government has done a good job, they navigated the "Mr Fluffy" asbestos insulation remediation professionally, got light rail under way and have provided good support for vocational education. The south, I am in Woden, may react badly to the Libs saying they will build the next extension of the tram to Belconnen rather than Woden which is the current plan. Under the current government the south is also getting the main CIT campus which goes a little way to alleviating the dominance of the north from a tertiary education perspective.

SatayKing likes this.
  6. SatayKing

One matter I've noticed is that cross-border arrangements with newer suburbs haven't received much attention from any party. Can easily get the nonsense situation of NSW being responsible for say garbage collection on one side of a street and the ACT for the other. Then there is provision of other services such a policing, utility supply and charges, education access, health.

I've spoken to candidates from both Labor and Liberal and I get the feeling they are still trying to nut it out as it isn't a simple matter of building houses. Maybe they should simply move the string line a few kilometers north-east.

7. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Nobody is cross about the land taxes and the very pro tennant laws?

Serveman likes this.
  8. SatayKing

Only landlords probably.

Anyways, as a voting block, there are more tenants than landlords.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  9. SatayKing

The ACT election is tomorrow, not today as I originally posted (probably got mix up with VAS/VGS payday).

Polls have been open for pre-polling for 18 days. Interesting in that so far 166k votes have been cast compared with 65k for the 2016 election.

I wonder if the method of electronic voting will reduce the number of informal and invalid votes and if, after each vote is cast, the system used applies Robson Rotation for the next voter.

The servers containing the votes are located at each polling booth I understand and are not connected to the internet.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Early results are indicating a swing towards the incumbent, Labor, though it may be a while before final results are known

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

ALP about the same, Libs dropped, Greens increased.

12. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

13. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

- Labor went from 12 seats to 10 - failed campaign
    - Libs from 11 seats to 9 - failed campaign
    - Greens from 2 seats to 6 - massive win
    Need 13 to form govt. It’s a coalition govt really, Labor/Greens. Could hardly call it a Labor govt.
    I wouldnt be feeling too cocky if I was Andrew Barr - hardly a vote of confidence in him.

14. SatayKing

An increase towards the Greens didn't surprise me although the number of seats gained did. The result for the ALP was interesting. As for the Liberals I didn't expect anything much mainly because I thought everything about them was bland to the extreme.