Acrylic or steel bath in a rental

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by NeedMoreTime, 4th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NeedMoreTime

NeedMoreTime Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm renovating a bathroom in a rental, all new tiles, new vanity, taps, etc. The existing steel bath is fairly old and scrarched and want to replace it since it cant be removed once the tiling is done.

Whats the general feeling on steel vs Acrylic baths in a rental, will one last longer or look better longer? I can get a new steel bath the exact same size for $750 or a deeper good quality Acrylic one for $270.

Is the extra coat worth it for a steel bath?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

1. Consider resurfacing the bath. If it has holes i'd replace it but if not, resurfacing it (eg. White knight kit) maybe all you need.
    2. If 1 is not an option, my tip is to not go with the cheap bath. I did in a Reno and in hindsight I regret it. I can feel the quality difference every time the bath is used (and that's basically all the time as it's a shower over bath scenario). Bathroom renos last for many years and it would be a shame to put an item with a poor quality finish into something so critical.

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2016
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Gockie about quality. I'd choose acrylic over steel. Steel could chip if anything is dropped in it.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If it's already rusting badly under, I'd replace it especially if you're renovating anyway. I ended up choosing a freestanding tub as if it breaks, I can pop a new one on top instead of redoing everything...

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. NeedMoreTime

NeedMoreTime Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Originally I was going to refinish the bath, but since it's out and everything is being replaced I thought I woild save some time and effort and go new.

I also had the same thougts on a steel bath chiping so tending towards the acrylic option.

With regards to the quality comment, im thinking a dearer sanitary grade acrylic from Reece rather than the $120 Bunnings option.

Gockie likes this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

If you are going to go plastic make sure you get a decent one so that it doesn't yellow

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Whichever one is more bulletproof (tenant-proof)...acrylic can be cracked, but steel will only chip the enamel.

Maybe stick with steel?