Acreage vs smaller block living.

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Barny, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

This morning, I'm looking at Mudgee and surrounds from internet. Hmmm

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

We're joining the club! Picked up 1.5 acres on the outskirts of Sydney last week. Hope to start building before the end of the year.

IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

ellejay, The Y-man, jim1964 and 8 others like this.
  3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Congrats and best of luck!

Biz likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Nice! Which outskirt? Northern rd region

Biz likes this.
  5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Biz likes this.
  6. larrylarry

@Biz dural and surrounds?

Biz likes this.
  7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

It's south west Sydney.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Congrats @Biz looks already fenced which is good. Go get some dorper sheep for lawnmowing

Biz likes this.
  9. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Yes! The fencing was a nice bonus. New fencing too so won't have to touch it for a long time. We have about 1000m2 or so of the block at the back that has trees, and is overflow for the dam next door you can see in the second photo. Might see if I can get together with the neighbors on either side and put a goat or something in there to keep the area under control. Cant get in there with a mower. Rest of the block is clear of trees which I'm happy about as it is easier to mow.

Westminster likes this.
  10. larrylarry

Is this your retreat or PPOR?

11. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Would be a bloody expensive retreat! It's our PPOR.

12. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Might I suggest putting in a bore for "fountain of youth" water.

Do check with neighbours who have bores about the quality of the ground water first though, sometimes is pretty good, sometimes it can be pretty bad if there's iron ore or gas or black gold under.

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Also, you better check with your local government authorities. We can't sink a bore on our acreage as we are too close to a SEQWater dam.

Apparently, they are afraid we might drain it dry :) :).

Westminster likes this.
  14. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

There's plenty of water up at Wivenhoe Dam, should be full by next week if the wet continues.

Maybe wait till it floods again and try asking again lol, they might change their mind then.

My local REA who lives in gumdale acreage just sank a bore down for watering his garden, cost him 10k all up, didn't even bother to notify council. lol.

15. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The dam I was talking about is Leslie Harrison Dam. So, it is water for Redlands City Council.

PM me his adddress and I will report him.

He will probably get caught. The Brisbane City Council is currently conducting a audit of our street/suburb and have caught out a number of residents. One guy up the road was fined $72,000 for knocking down gum trees without approval. There are a few people further down our street who are $hitting their pants.

I told them at our Neighourhood Watch meetings that BCC has access to hi-res satellite photos. They can tell how many bees are on each flower in your garden. For each property, a photo is taken each 3 months. So, they can tell within a 3 month period what each person has done to their property.

When we were building our new house a few years ago, the low-res photos were free. I downloaded them all. Thank God I did, as they now charge for them.

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Sheep, forget the goat, they are a pain and neighbors will hate you if it gets out and eats the gardens etc :)

They are mainly 25 acre round there, the problem is they advertise everything miles out/away from Mudgee as Mudgee, one of the agents there is terrible to deal with, everything they have is Mudgee, even if at Ulan :)

Not sure what they are asking now, but I reckon when the steam is gone from Sydney and rates rise a bit, prices will go down & won't be as many people buying weekenders.

17. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

Guess it depends what the land is like as to how much upkeep there is.

I'm on 4.7 acres but a good portion of it is hilly bushland and part of the land runs along side a small creek, top portion where the house is is relatively flat-ish but the land has a lot of rocks on it and crap so it's a pain to brush cut.

Padocky land is probably relatively easily to maintain.

18. larrylarry

So you live on this? Did you build a house from scratch? Where is this? What's your running costs per year?

19. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Oh, this thread is glorious. I have two 600sqm side by side blocks in the mountains that it is taking forever to build on, so decided to park those and do a for-profit rather than PPoR build on both in, oh, 2 years the way this paperwork is clogging.

Meanwhile, got distracted looking online, found a derelict house for a song, its on half an acre but with adjoining land of 2.5 acres I could buy if I like the area and think I can deal with maintaining that much land. Big house, possibly 5-6 bedrooms. Rates are < $600 a year. No mains water but has a water main literally 1 foot over the front fence so a small fee to get it connected. Still pending finance but I think this is my next crappy rural fixer-upper. Its been a few years since I had one of those and I really miss it.

The only thing I think I'm going to have issues with is the sheer distance it is from civilisation. Definitely isolated and very rural.

Observer, Gockie and Westminster like this.
  20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Was it you that bought the place which had really unclear boundaries and a weird easement to the train track or something?

The new place sounds interesting and I like how it has the 2.5 acres if you'd like to buy that too.