Acreage vs smaller block living.

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Barny, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Horse lovers need a place to live too :D they're just like regular people, just with big expensive pets

2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Barney, I realise your post was some months ago however I've been down this track myself a few years ago.

The building issue is really driven by the zoning. After that, the standard is then driven by the BAL rating. Most ppl really don't understand the significant differences in the rural zoning types & fail to comprehend that FZ, RLZ, RCZ & RUZ have very different rules pertaining to dwellings.

An invaluable source of info can be found at: Land Channel Products and Services

Due to tightening of the regulations after the severe bushfires and my budget at the time, I decided to only look at RLZ properties. Also be careful of other overlays (heritage, bush/wildfire, conservation, cultural significance etc...)

As for upkeep, we have just under 10 acres (& PPOR in town) to look after. I spend more time on the house in town then I do on the 10 acres... but I cheat a little. Once a year I pay a local guy to slash the block a few weeks prior to bushfire season (~$250). Worth every cent!

Before I get questions about why we live in town & maintain a rural place too.... because we can, because we want to, because it suits our chosen lifestyle. Best of both worlds.

Enjoy the journey,

Indi

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Indifference that is a great slashing price! Our last slashing bill was $700 for our 10 acres.

Our earthworks is finished and building will start soon on our new place, I can't wait!

[​IMG]

Redwood, MTR, Barny and 1 other person like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

"Westminster Estate" or "Westminster Manor" ??

Westminster likes this.
  5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I think I already know the answer to this but will ask anyhow.
    Thinking about resale if we ever sell as a just in case we need too...

Will I elimate/turn off most buyers if the house is 3 bedroom over 4 on acerage country?

6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I think possibly the opposite. It can be hard to find a 3 bedder on acreage. When we were looking the houses on land were too big for our needs. We prefered not to spend extra budget that could be used for cashflow elsewhere on bedrooms that we didn't need. Plus all the associated extra cleaning and upkeep.

7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Never thought about it from that respective. Interesting.
    My thoughts are 4 bedroom will always be there to accomodate us if needed, but we don't really need 4, and future buyers if selling.
    If 2 houses were almost indentical apart from an extra bedroom, and priced the exact same, which would you buy?

8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

If the price was the same and identical otherwise then I'd go 4 bed but we were looking for a smaller, less expensive property. More practical and we can use the leftover cash for something else rather than have it trapped in a bigger house than we need.

Barny likes this.
  9. Westminster

I don't think it will make a difference.
    When we looked there were actually a lot more 3 bedders then 4 bedders mainly due to the time period when people had built. It would be nice if the floor layout lent itself to adding another bedroom if a buyer ever needed to.
    But the treechanger market is often people who don't have kids anymore.

Observer and Barny like this.
  10. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yes lots of 3 bed room houses were we are looking. Seems 3 should be ok, I'll confirm with the agents today just to make sure all the city slickers migrating to the country aren't looking for 4 bed. Thanks for the feedback.

12. Westminster

It really depends on where the value is at - the house or the land. A lot of acreage properties the value is all in the land and not the house. We ended up buying something with 2 beds even though we need 5 because it was the block we wanted. So we are building a new house on it.

Observer likes this.
  13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Value is the land. After the last 5 houses I just viewed, definitely the land.

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

So how is it???

15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Lawn mowers advice please.
    Ride on, zero turn? Something strong/reliable, lots of trees and branches around.
    Bout 4 acres of land to cut. Recommendations, or is it cheaper to just pay someone to do regularly. I heard maintenance can be costly when needing to change belts, blades etc.

16. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Hi Barney

I bought a Troy bilt ride on 30 inch. Its a rover model us made so its good. Unfortunately needed a quick repaid as I used fuel from a metal container which was "rusty water". Can get from costco for $2000 or on special for $1500....they are simple and good mower.

My land is hilly so its hard to mow with a significant incline. I have foxes on the property which ---- unfortunately I will have to "remove" - at my expense which is a joke.

I live in mannigham council and they are bloody hopeless, there are more foxes than cats here - yet they say its a state issue.

I never have a spare moment, I am this weekend installing 200 x 2.4 sleeper - huge retaining walls, followed by a concrete driveway which is 800 sqm ($$$$) then a front gate.

The APEX clowns have been around the area, so I have a great security system with cameras everywhere (install them!!!).

Acreage, even 1.5 is so pleasant. I plan to buy an acre of "bush" from a neighbour, we are negotiating....

How did you go?

Cheers Ivan

Westminster likes this.
  17. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Thanks Ivan. Negotiated on a place under 5acres. Agent asked way to much $$$, got in down in price but unfortunaltely I couldn't see the value in their over priced property as it needed a lot of cash to bring up to standards, so walked away. Have had quotes for fences/garages/carports/landscaping clearing/renovating etc etc and the dollars add up real quick. Seems easier to buy something someone else has already completed.

The markets been slow with hardly any new propertys coming up since late last year. I'm hoping they hit the market in march or we will be waiting longer and it will probably push the demand up again.

Regarding the mower, I've been recommended going something over 20hp and blades around 48inch. Haven't worked it out yet, need more education.

We're I'm buying no need to lock anything I've been told. Inspected a place couple days ago and I locked the car as I parked it, the agent said you don't need to here. Was weird, left it unlocked and I'm not used to that and felt uneasy for a little. I guess in time I'll grow a beard and shower less. Bring on country life.

The Y-man and Redwood like this.
  18. Jebi6a

Jebi6a Member

Late to party on this one.

We (family) in process of elimination right now of finding a place to buy some land.
    This thread has been gold, love it.

Just wanted to get some input.

We are in Victoria, and want some nice land for a weekender and place to get away when possible. 10+ acres at the min.
    Not too worried about a big number when it comes to land.
    One day the possibility of moving to when the kids are done with school. We are currently 20 mins from Melb.

Driving up to 4 hours max isn't an issue.

Two Regions we are tossing up:

Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula.

YV will provide more land for the same buck as MP, but in return will provide less of a capital growth (In my opinion).

They both provide what we want, land, fresh air, good local produce and peace and quiet. Obviously the bonus of the MP is the beach generally pretty close to all suburbs.

We are looking at a basically a range of suburbs in both those regions.
    We are spending free time visiting all around these regions on weekends, to get a feel for the areas.
    We would prefer something in the hills with a view if possible.

We are in the early stages of this decision, so any opinions (both harsh and nice!) will be welcomed.

Thoughts?

johnmteliza likes this.
  19. Westminster

My mower/slasher man loves the Toro zero turn and its supposed to work pretty well on inclines etc. He's in Perth but he's very helpful and I believe sells Australia wide or can put you onto someone local All Star Hire & Sales WA - Mowers Diggers Attachments & more | Facebook

I'm currently driving an 80+ year old Massey Ferguson with a slasher attachment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2017
    hobo, The Y-man and Barny like this.
  20. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

You've obviously got a large budget.... both areas are very nice.
    We bought 2 hrs from Melbourne bordering state forest for ~20% the cost of your locations. (~10 ac)

ellejay likes this.