Acreage vs smaller block living.

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Barny, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

They built non-inhabitable sheds, with kitchens and bedrooms..

jim1964 likes this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

And that's permitted? How much would that cost?

3. Terry_w

I dream of inhabiting a non-inhabitable shed, but you would be in breach of some planning laws I think. But there are areas in which it is common knowledge that people are living in sheds.

I will see if I can find one I looked at last week and post a link.

larrylarry likes this.
  4. larrylarry

Thanks. I would at least want to stay with family for week in a non-inhabitable shed..

5. Terry_w

Can't find it now, but last week I stumbled across a very elaborate 3 bedroom shed which you weren't allowed to live in, but it obviously was being lived in by a family.

6. larrylarry

cool. I wouldn't live for months of course but a week every few months would be something I would like...somewhere...serenity.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

72sqm 3 car garage in my backyard with direct street access here... ;)

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Heaps of places do this and the council turn a blind eye, it is no drama for a weekender.

I was looking for one in various places, if they have no shed already, just put a caravan on the block, cheaper that way :)

ellejay likes this.
  9. larrylarry

I don't want to have a brush with the law, you know but yes I'm sure Council isn't really keen to travel deep into the bush to check unless complaints received. I just want a place that my clan and I can enjoy doing nothing but serenity. Which region in NSW would you recommend?

10. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

I lived in surburbia for a few years, having built the dream home with the wife a couple of years ago. After 12 months the house and lawn were perfect and I was starting to wear a track around the fence line from boredom. We sold it and moved to 100 acres and im never bored now! We run it as a primary production business with cattle but still have my day job so its crazy busy but its what I grew up with and I wouldnt have it any other way. The garden was a clean slate so we've been flat out prettying that up, its probably about an acre, and we've recently renovated the old house but still need to extend. We could spend every spare hour on the gardens alone because its in a very lush part of the world and the wife wants it to look like an open garden! But obviously the main thing for me is staying on top of the farming side of it and juggling a full time job, as well as my wife working full time and young kids. Pasture improvement, fencing, cattlework etc are really the things that keep it flat out, if it was only the garden it would be much easier. The dream is to turn it into a model farm, and were getting there. (We also lease and run cattle on the neighbouring 450 acres, but thats a different story.)

We get so much delight watching our girls ride their horses and motorbikes or run around with the dog, chase cows and wombats or just be tomboys.... Mind you, when Im chasing cows in the rain or bogged in the paddock I dream of the days gone by where we had a concrete driveway and garage with a roller door and internal access to the house, but we'd never go back to surburbia. Many would in a flash, though!

Im totally biased, but Im on the NSW Sth coast and love it, its got pretty pricey tho. What size block are you after? If you want somewhere out of the way, how about areas to the north of goulburn or yass. Places like Dalton, Rugby, Reids flat, or closer to Wombeyan. It's not green or lush, but cheap as chips and can pick up a few hundred acres for a couple of hundred K and not too far from Sydney, if thats where you're located? Otherwise, places like Sassafras or Nerriga near Nowra is cheap, but isolated

Observer, JL1, LibGS and 1 other person like this.
  11. larrylarry

Love that! I'm in Sydney and I have a business in CBD. Do you work in the area where you live? How many cows have you got on your acreage (100 acres)? How did you get into this? I've always lived in a city but love the idea of living on a farm and work from there. Can we visit your farm some day? ;)

12. Terry_w

Allgood - you are living the dream life.

Larry you sound like me - I too dream of escaping the CBD and buying a 100 acre farm and doing law from the bush - but while still retaining an office in the CBD.

13. dabbler

You do not need to be hidden away in thick bush.

You can have a shed, it is 100% legal to have a shed on all rural property I have seen, if you worried about that, put a caravan there. Read the local zoning and what you can do, you can also find many small blocks with building entitlement, but you have to do a proper build of course to get occupancy.

What you cannot do is if no building entitlement is you will not get any occupancy certificate if you did build a house, which in turn would mean you can't sell it as a habitable dwelling, you could not rent it out for instance & council could force your hand in various ways, including removal.

Heaps of places I looked the council will not give you any grief even if living there, seen plenty of this, neighbors won't likely worry about this sort of thing, it is fences, stock and dogs that will cause arguments (and water).

I like so many areas......

Near the warrumbungles is one of my favs, so near Connabarabran, theer are lost of 25 acre blocks around Mudgee and Gulgong, can be a bit boring and rough in some places (expensive too) I like around Merriwa, between Lithgow and Orange has some nice places, down Goulburn, Yass etc, just so many nice places to have a weekender, also down round the snow is popular, albeit a bit bland in some places.

How far you prepared to travel ?

ellejay likes this.
  14. larrylarry

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

One idea is Lightning Ridge... great place to escape everything and live easily and fairly cheaply... find bush meat (kangaroo anyone?), eat it.... spend your days looking for opal... spend the nights at a pub with all the other locals...

16. larrylarry

Not more than 5 hours, otherwise I would be in Victoria...not that there's anything wrong with Victoria.

jim1964 likes this.
  17. dabbler

Don't have to do that, my family has acres on edge of Sydney near where I think you said you have IPs, we often eat our own grown meat, cattle are a lot of work though, hardly a hobby !

Another friend of mine not that long ago bout 25 acres not far away, paid 825 from memory.

18. larrylarry

Picton? I just want somewhere cheap. BTW, there are lots being sold in Dalton, Rugby, Bigga, Gunning etc...they have cattle on the paddock...does it mean you can lease your land for grazing? How do you find out if someone wants to lease your land for grazing? It would be nice to earn something.

19. dabbler

So you want South, I mainly looked West, but lot of good land down and inland a bit, Yass, Boorowa, Young, Crookwell etc etc some pretty isolated spots in there too.

Looked at some places near Taylors Flat and Rugby, but too isolated for us, need to be about 15 mins or so from some kind of store for the boss, anyway, we gave up, lot of the land is way too pricey and the farmers sell off the crap generally, not the good land.

Allgood likes this.
  20. dabbler

Agistment may be possible with the right block/s, but that is another ball game, lot to go into, also no deductions etc, Terry can tell you about it all no doubt :)