Acreage vs smaller block living.

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Barny, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We did exactly the same thing (only 100 metres) for exactly the same reasons

legallyblonde likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes but I have no idea other than that, sorry. I'd ask DH for more info but he wouldn't tell anyone on the internet anyway :p

Barny likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

It is time to cut back a tad if your spilling it as you do those last min chores around the house before dark.... :D

4. dabbler

Re gates, there is 2 different looking kits, and I have visited a few different places with differing setups,

IMO the need to have an intercom is dead, unless you have no phone reception there, most people have mobiles and most people will let you know ahead if they are visiting. I have no problem locking out those who want to sell etc unsolicited :)

Have been to one place where the solar type system had a button either side to release gate, I did not ask them how they turn it off though, prob a switch somewhere.

Will be interesting to hear how yours works out, whatever one you choose.

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Well so far it seems the bmg imports the go, I looked at getting some other gates down the track and these can support and change over with different brackets. Regarding the intercom it’s not a bad idea to have, I had aus post drop something off yesterday but it was lucky I was outside and hear the car pull up, she was about to leave with the delivery. Would have had to drive 35m to pick it up from the depot, so it has some bonuses. I’m now looking at solar power, reading the threads but not sure where to start. 5kw unit or 10kw?

6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

C607B25B-BA7F-4AD5-B607-888AEBF98BBE.jpeg
    They’re back again, posing for the photo

Nodrog and Westminster like this.
  7. dabbler

I had a delivery driver leave, I was about 20ms away, that was last week, I complained about the driver as we both stayed home, gate unlocked etc, he came again yesterday, this time sounded the horn multiple times. Must be expensive to use the ph eh ??? In other words, they are lazy IMO.

Re solar, I have had and installed many different systems, it comes down to cost, how installers do job, and how you use your power, if you adjust your usage and can do this in a disciplined fashion, 5kw will work (really have to know all usage) 10kw is prob more useful if your going to run a lot of pumps etc

You need to find out what your supplier allows, and if you have 3 phase or only single, you can also start with one size and add more later.

Westminster likes this.
  8. Westminster

The intercom on ours will ring our mobiles and we should be able to open gate from mobile. This will be handy if we want the delivery to take place but we aren't at home.

Intercom GSM Wireless | Gsm Access Controller

For solar power it's helpful to know power usage. Did the old owners allow you to see any of their old bills? 10kw is probably better but maybe just buy a big inverter and go panels to half capacity then see how it is? 2 installations is probably more expensive than actually doing it in the first place

Renorookie and Barny like this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

AC281640-35FB-40B3-BFB0-0488A36E277E.png
    I was thinking something a little cheaper for an intercom.

Didn’t see any of the old owners bills. Thinking best to gauge our own usage over a few months, as these guys never had aircon and I’m dying on hot days. Aircon split system units are coming in jan so that will add to our electricity bills and will work well in winter over waiting for a fire to start heating.
    Are there any particular brands that are known to be the best on the market? There’s so many, can you or others please suggest some reputable brand solar company’s to use. That would be greatly appreciated.

Westminster likes this.
  10. dabbler

No, do not do this, over drive the inverter is better.

11. Westminster

True - forgot that rule - that you get more panels than capacity as they'll never be running at 100%

12. Westminster

Most people like the german inverters, Fronius is a brand I hear recommended a lot. The other recommended 2 are SolarEdge and SMA

Barny likes this.
  13. dabbler

It is a complex market, but to be sure, most installers or re sellers are just that, there can be differences in installation, for sure, some installers may leave you with a system the energy suppliers refuse to pass, so not all the same, but like the PM argument here, do not believe if you pay top dollar you will get a top system and installer.

I have used a few different brands of inverter, from the mid to low end, I did have one fail in a brand that was fairly new, was replaced in a week free, all of them did what they were supposed to do, I have used mainly tier 2 panels, but have used bottom end too, and frankly, they worked fine, just make sure is a big importer bringing them in, which can be hard to find out in itself.

All of the sales people and many installers will rubbish the opposition, ruthlessly, it is kinda like buying a house, you have to try and work out who is exaggerating, or out and out lying. Can be very hard.

Here is an example, I had one that was about 6kw installed, lets just say I paid 6k, a friend was telling me how much better his 5kw system was, installer was best, and he said he had a 5kw system with top inverter and panels, I was kinda surprised he was not across it more, as his background was electrical, anyway, went to have a look as he was complaining the bill was the same.....he had 3kw of panels, on a 5kw inverter, Inverter was same brand as mine .....lol...a cheapo, and he paid about 20% more, also cause of the mis match in panels to inverter, it performed poorly, robbed ! Also no change in behavior re usage.

I have a couple of very elderly people who are fairly new to solar and no electrical background, the have near zero elect bill, they have pumps etc and ducted air, they use what they need, just with a mind to how the solar works, my other friend would have near zero change to bill, as won't change habits.

Barny likes this.
  14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

So what company would you say to call/use?

15. johnmteliza

johnmteliza Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend the Mornington Peninsula for you. The are has become incredibly popular in the the past year or so on the back of the recent Melbourne city market downturn. The area is set to perform strongly well into the future too. Definitely a wise choice.

Brooke Colledge likes this.
  16. dabbler

I have had a good run with various companies at different locations and some across locations....Optus, IInet, TPG.....have used all mobile carriers pretty sucessfully in metro and country.

17. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Dude this was nearly a year ago, you still haven't mentioned what solar company you would actually use.

I added an 8kw system and happy with it. Now soon as batteries become cheaper I'll be getting one of those as well.

18. dabbler

Oh....solar.....

Nah.....I would never reccomend one, cause unless you know what theya are doing and tbe rules and the different products, it would not be like getting an internet service......

It is like 360 opposite to internet.

19. dabbler

Also internet companies and brands have largely been around for some time, solar is like fly by night, one of the best and cheapest installs was out of business 3 months later....with a diff name etc.....thank the govt for this type of thing.

20. Westminster

Well it's been one month since we moved into our 10 acres and it's fair to say I never want to see a moving box again.

New place is great. It's well worth the extra kilometres the ute is clocking up.

Power to the street has been upgraded so we can get more amps then our solar panel application should be approved. We haven't had a full bill yet but judging by our partial we are probably using $15 of power a day.

Barny likes this.