Acreage vs smaller block living.

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Barny, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

So glad you're loving it. It was worth all that hassle and offers to get the right one.
    You'll need some lizards and geckos to eat the spiders but the spiders are probably keeping your flies and mosquitos in check so it's a tough bargain.

It's acreage minus 2-3 weeks until we actually move in. Construction is at the pointy end and I can't wait. Life will be easier when I don't have to drive 30mins to go mowing.

Barny, Nodrog and DaveM like this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes
    Yes
    yes

and

No

Yes
    Yes
    No

:):):)

Def a better life, comes with small trade offs & each place will be different.

Re bugs, no point fighting nature, just brush the webs away I guess, moths, beetles and flies would bother me more than spiders, but you just use the lights that mean they are away from what your doing or want to be.

Roos ...., feed is not for them, nor is fixing fences due to them any fun.

NBN is a fail everywhere it seems

2 hrs gardening & mowing, you sure it is not 2000m2 you have ?:)

If you have the right spot & a quiet spot and good neighbors, then it is very peaceful & a great lifestyle really.

Barny likes this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I feel the need to see a chiropractor after each mow given the bouncing around and impact on head / neck.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Wildlife. Well during the week the wife found the skin of a brown snake on her vege net and I found a funnel web spider under the house (all enclosed). The week before I nearly stepped on a red belly black snake on the lawn (I was looking elsewhere). And a week before that again I was bitten by multiple bull ants (jumping jack), very nasty reaction. I’ve told the wife I’m not going outside again unless she pays me a danger allowance. I’ve also increased my home brew consumption to cope with the post traumatic stress as a result of these encounters.

Barny likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, yep, I could believe that, you could be hurt just from some of the jolts, so imagine that steering joint is copping.

LOL....admit you go looking for trouble just to get more brew.......or........maybe stay inside when on the brew ?

Spiders are everywhere, snakes ate around, they should take off though....

You like the city then......lol

Nodrog likes this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Had a 1m red belly black in my back yard the other week. I suspect a kookaburra dropped it after rit caught it outside the yard towards the creek.,the only other alternative is one of the dogs caught it..

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The resident red belly black snake in my neighbours yard would be big enough to eat a kookaburra. And their two cattle dogs give it a wide berth. It lives under a low deck next to their pool and comes out during the day to sun itself on the lawn.

8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

We are lucky we are only a 8 minute drive from the township. Been sampling the local produce and I've found the best kofta and burgers. BBQ coming up

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Was definitely worth it, just couldn't believe it was over 2 years since the thought process began. Big thanks to everyone that helped with the decision process.

I'm thinking bout having a pro company come and treat the house for spiders and bull ants, wonder if it will last though.

3 weeks will fly by, I'm sure you are flat out with everything else right now anyhow. You having Christmas in the shed?

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We bought our 5 acres in 1988. Next year we have decided to sell (for a whole stack of reasons) and downsize into an apartment. It has been a great lifestyle; otherwise we wouldn’t have stayed 30 years.

But I am not going to miss the mowing. Typically takes me about 9 to 10 hours (including stick pickup). That’s OK in winter when I can get away with once a month but, in summer, it is once a week :(.

So, never say never.

And we are looking forward to moving into our new home - absolute waterfront. Hopefully, we will live there for 30+ years.

Nodrog and Barny like this.
  11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Truth, I spent 5-6 hours past 2 days mowing, weed killing along the fence line, gardening, we have about 3 acres that need maintaining and the rest is bush so no stress there. I'm a beginner and never used a ride on before and I'm sure I can drop an hour off my time. Also a bit slow with the grass cutter, but I'm improving and the new 35cc stihl straight shaft is so much easier to use than my previous bent shaft Honda. This time of year won't have to mow as much which is great, but I actually enjoy it, I think the greenfield is on its way out though, been stalling on me and previous owner said it's on its last legs.

Brooke Colledge likes this.
  12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I hear poring a little home brew around the house acts as a deterrent to wildlife. Not sure it's true

Nodrog likes this.
  13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Wife and I had the discussion, why would anyone want to leave a home like this? For obvious reasons as you state it's a lot of work to maintain especially when the age/injuries creep up, previous owners mid 70's are down sizing in the same area. They didn't want to leave but can't maintain it they said.
    We came to a decision that we will make sure we can afford to maintain the land/internal cleaning by paying people to take care of it for us when we can't.
    Congrats on the new place, so no mowing at all?

kierank likes this.
  14. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Once you have lived in this environment, you will never go back to suburbia.

Barny likes this.
  15. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

No mowing at all.

We always had plans of hiring people to mow, garden, clean, etc when we got older as we have done it in the past when we had our businesses.

Another reason we are selling is that, when we finally leave this planet, our kids wouldn’t keep our acreage PPOR as it is too good/hard to rent, etc.

With our apartment (read this as a sky home), we know the kids won’t want to sell it :D.

Nodrog and Barny like this.
  16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

IMG_1694.PNG IMG_1693.PNG IMG_7207.jpg Any recommendations for electric/solar gate openers and locks? I found the bmg import solar powered openers might be good, unsure. I read we should upgrade to the 40w solar panel for Melbournes weather, these will set me back around 800 each, and that's without any locking device. @Nodrog @kierank @DaveM @Westminster and others, what would you recommend apart from the old school method of manually getting out of the car each time. Cheers

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We trenched electricity and network 300m to our gates as we wanted an intercom down there and so we could remotely open the gate to let visitors in. So we went totally overboard :)

18. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Does it have a locking latch system?

19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The gate I am putting in is next to the house so will be mains powered, but that kit above looks like it will do the job

Barny likes this.
  20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Consider if you will be leaving it as a farm gate or will one day replace it with something more substantial. If so get the higher load rated unit now to save replacing it down the track

Westminster and Barny like this.