Acreage properties -Opinions

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by audream, 30th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. audream

audream Member

Hi,
    I am new here, really impressed by the wisdom shared on this forum by so many real estate enthusiasts and professionals. Can anyone share the good, bad and ugly of living in acreage properties in the outskirts of big metropolitans like Sydney, Melbourne etc?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Depending on how big, and what type.

Most on the outskirts of Melb are (currently) not subdivisible, so they are a lifestyle choice (not a split later type thing).

Having said that, as the urban sprawl continues to happen, I believe
    1. the councils may change their minds
    2. the properties would become valuable anyway as the last remaining vestige of super big land surrounded by subdivided suburbia.

In my area, there are some nice blocks, and one thing I do note is that the $ per sq metre is lower (sometimes significantly) due to the low density zoning - which can make for a good purchase. I would love to get one, but I think my mowing/gardening bill will blow out (I am not like @kierank )

The Y-man

korando1234, Archaon and audream like this.
  3. The Y-man

Just be aware some of the really great looking deals are actually because they have major power lines running through them.

The Y-man

4. audream

audream Member

Thanks Y-man. This is super helpful. We are not looking for necessarily sub-divisible land etc. If it happens, it's good but not the main idea. Which suburb are you in? My objective for this post is to know the reality before signing up for the hassle of maintaining a large property. How much work is needed in maintaining the tennis courts, swimming pools, trimming the trees, lawn mowing etc.

5. The Y-man

I have enough trouble with my garden on 700 sqm!! (let alone keeping my house clean!) :D:D:D

Definitely a @kierank question :)

The Y-man

alicudi likes this.
  6. The Y-man

audream likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Buying small acreage hoping zones will change is futile.
    The CGT exemption is limited to 1HA
    Maintenance costs and time can be a major issue. eg ride on takes a few hours. Fencing, water, fire hazards, snakes etc

If you have kids you will realise how far away you live when they need to go places and get picked up.

larrylarry and audream like this.
  8. The Y-man

Actually I know a family that bought an acreage in an gen resi zone, and sold off to a developer. They then moved into one of their small IP's while building their big new dream acreage home. I visited them at the "temporary home", and collapsed laughing because the dude brought his ride-on with him (of course will need it at the new home) and was using it on this tiny front lawn at his temporary abode :D:D:D (God knows what the neighbours thought!!)

The Y-man

Observer and Archaon like this.
  9. audream

audream Member

Acreage homes do seem to offer a lot on the surface and good value for money too as you already pointed out Y-man. Obviously your friends must like that lifestyle hence why they're moving to another similar property. Have you heard of any negatives from them?

10. audream

audream Member

Thanks for your input Paul. I understand the CGT exemption is not allowed but given we are only talking of an acreage, it's alright I guess. How often these things need to be taken care of- fencing, water, fire hazards etc.? Does it really weigh on the mind that much more than say a 1000sqm property?

11. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Are you talking 1 acre or 40? Honestly. Because it varies. If you haven't got a green thumb, know your way around power tools and don't like being outside then stay clear. A 1/4 acre block is not an "acreage" IMO.

sauber, craigc, Archaon and 1 other person like this.
  12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I am on 70 acres in the Adelaide hills. Could never go back to suburbia

13. audream

audream Member

1 acre to be specific :) I agree 1/4 acre block is not an acreage but I meant that maintenance is required in all kinds of houses - fences, snakes etc. can be a problem in even 1/4th of an acre, so how much more is really the stress of managing 1 acre.

14. audream

audream Member

70 acre!! Why would you go back to a suburbia when you have your the entire suburb sized land for yourself :) It wouldn't work for us but hats off to you!

15. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

1 acre not too bad if you're fairly handy. But tbh there's so many variables to answer this question,
    Single or couple
    weatherboard or brick
    bore or town
    colourbond or timber
    couch or buff
    zero turn or push..

The list goes on.

(sorry to be a bit cryptic but if any of the above is confusing to you then I would suggest staying with a 600sqm. Covid has done funny things to lifestyle areas)

larrylarry, Archaon and Angel like this.
  16. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Acreage is acreage...in terms of the required maintenance...regardless of whether it's on the outskirts of a capital city or if it's in a remote area, for example.

On that note you have two choices: do the maintenance yourself or pay someone else to do the maintenance for you.

17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would post a detailed response but my 32+ years of acreage living is on 5 acres that is 15 kms from the CBD of a small country town called Brisbane, not an acreage property “in the outskirts of big metropolitans like Sydney, Melbourne” :rolleyes:

Archaon, Stoffo, wilso8948 and 2 others like this.
  18. The Y-man

They built a giganormous house (60+ squares) that takes up a huge chunk of the land and needs 2 cleaners to come through every week..... o_O

They'll get around to doing the pool etc I guess, but I was scathing of their tiny garage that could barely fit their kluger.... (I mean seriously guys, you built a house the size of a hotel, then put a tiny garage onto the side of it....)

The Y-man

craigc and Archaon like this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My BIL used to comment that their 3000m2 was just a bit too large (why I am looking for 1200 - 2000m2). Then they bought 120acres but most of it is cow farm or native vegetation. Being retired from their day job (sold the business), they both seem to spend every spare minute maintaining something.

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We are also conscious of what type of land it is. We do not want steep hills and we do not want unusable soil. Naturally the cheap land is less desirable if you want to be self sufficient. I am also conscious of climate - no point giving up my afternoon sea breeze here near the coast to move 50kms inland and get freezing cold in winter and stifling hot in summer and no town water when their dam dries up. Anyways here in SEQ I am looking for a township built on a disused dairy farm or pine plantation rather than a pineapple farm or sheep country.