Acoustics engineer - Perth

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rooky, 28th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

I am planning a triplex development in a northern suburb of Perth. Site falls within "Section 5.4 Rail and Road Reserve" of State Planning Policy. This is new and came into effect only in September 2019. So will need to have report prepared from an acoustics engineer to certify that there is acceptable noise level given that his recommended measures are incorporated into construction.

So i am looking for acoustics engineer reference who can think bit outside the box and suggest noise remediation measures in such a way that it does not increase construction cost too much. If you have work with or know someone who have this kind of experience, please share their contact details.

2. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

It seems no one on PC has used acoustics engineer for their project. It may be due to this requirement coming into effect recently - only in September 2019.

3. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

I've used the Nick for acoustic engineering of a Class 2 building, though ti was more for controlling noise between apartments. Worth contacting though, he can let you know if he can help.

Rooky likes this.
  4. UrbanPlanner

UrbanPlanner Well-Known Member

I have only used them for commercial but are very good, and see no reason why they would not fit the bill
    Tim Reynolds - Herring Storer Acoustics
    [email protected]
    9367 6200

Rooky likes this.
  5. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sorry I didn't see your thread or I would have answered it earlier.

I have used Sealhurst Acoustics on a few projects

Daryl Thompson BSc(Hons) MAAS MIOA AES
    Director
    Sealhurst Pty Ltd
    E: [email protected]

T: +61 (0)8 9401 9236

M: +61 (0)420 364 650

Rooky likes this.
  7. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Thanks WM, much appreciated. I will contact him too.

8. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

I use Herring Storer Acoustics on my work for larger developments. I would recommend them also, as long as they are competitively prices on a smaller project.

Rooky likes this.
  9. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Thanks @theperthurbanist . I have contacted him.

10. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Just piggy back on this as I cannot see anyone asking about Section 5.4 Rail and Road noise. Would you buy an IP that is affected by this? We cannot really hear the noise from the property so might not be a major issue living there, but since it is affected by that criteria, it can - (a) impact future sales value; and (b) harder / more costly for any future development.

What do you think?

No impact to actual property now, so minor issue

Or forget it

Or try to negotiate a slightly lower price?

I guess some others wont care in this market and pay the price anyway so I might not be able to negotiate!! Could pay or walk away.

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2021
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're cheaper.

Always has & will affect price compared to something on a quiet street.

You'll still get the same rent.

Alex AB likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Are you buying it for future development? Depending on how close and how noisy will impact how much it will cost in future to comply. Often it's not onerous just extra insulation and thicker glass which also benefit sustainability/5 star calculations so are a bit of a win-win. Extra cost might be as little as $5k per dwelling. If you allow $10k extra it should cover 80% of situations.

Overall in the current market I don't think you'll get a discount unless it's actually on the main road/railway line and then it will be discounted anyway.

13. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

That's true. Thanks. Still pretty quiet so should get same rent, but potential sales impact in the future and definitely more cost for any development like this thread was asking about. So need to be compensated for it right?
    thanks. No planned major development or renovation, just cosmetic at some point in the future so won’t impact much. However whenever I sell in the future, it might still impair the sale price and some buyers might still have concern like me now; unless the market is hot like the current environment.

Yes, no chance for a discount when others keep bidding up. I will probably pass it and look for another. Don’t want to keep pushing if there can be an issue in the future.