NSW Accurate Median Price and Yield Figures?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jmillar, 19th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the best source is for up-to-date figures?

I used to like using Investsmart Suburb Search but for example, it's showing a $250k median price and 0% growth for houses in Eagleby, which certainly doesn't seem right.

I also like the Realestate.com.au Invest tab but this is saying Eagleby (3bdr houses) has had -1.1% growth and the median price is $265k.

If you jump on realestate.com.au, there is a very limited number of houses available for sale at or under this figure, so it seems these numbers are way behind.

Is there a source that has more up-to-date figures (perhaps using RPData data)?

On another note, according to re.com.au, it looks as though Eagleby and Beenleigh had a large decline in value from 2009-2013, whereas if you look at areas like Sinnamon Park and Chermside, it remained stable or had slight growth/decline. I wasn't following the market during this time so was just wondering why there was such vast differences in how these markets were affected in comparison?

Cheers

Eagleby.png Beenleigh.png Chermside.png Untitled.png

2. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

I regularly check a few different sources and have found pretty large discrepancies between all of the data, most of the time.
    I find it a little frustrating and in reliable. I trust my own experience and knowledge in a suburb over stats because I often find them to be vastly different to what's occurring on the ground at the time. Sometimes capital growth figures line up reasonably well when I am checking the performance of purchases I have made for clients against what the data says, other times not so much.

3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Great question and I find discrepencies. I use the 'Top Suburb' section of Property Investment Magazine find Australia's best investment suburbs . If I'm comparing suburbs at the same time then if one's out, then they'll all (possibly??) be out by the same amount. I use it as a guide for suburbs to devote more time to. I also use the investor section of Real Estate, Property & Homes For Sale - realestate.com.au but as you say there's a discrepency between the various sites.

@Lisa Parker- Buyers Agent if you're researching an area remotely and don't have prior experience of an area, how would you suggest people doing their suburb research??

4. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

I think the best you can do is collect all the data from many sources, speak with agents and somewhere it should tell you a picture. If it doesn't, and it's too hard to get a picture of the suburbs performance because the data and agents views are so varied, I personally wouldn't proceed unless I knew the area intimately myself. That's just me, I wouldn't feel comfortable proceeding if things were up in the air for me.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The numbers are only as good as the data and the analyst.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.