Accuracy of SQM vacancy rate and analysis of lease renewal timing.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Illusivedreams, 17th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Its so interesting looking at vacancy rate charts between areas where we own properties.

Comparing beach side to inner west Sydney.

The cycles are different.

West im finding highest vacancy rate in November December.
    Easter Beach its our lower same period.(December excluded)

Its logical and im sure Easter beach tourism helps the local vacancy rate in lead up to summer.

Interesting is December is the highest vacancy rate for all our areas where we hold investments in Sydney.

Also looking at December 2017 their was spike in vacancy larger than previous years.
    SQM Research - Residential Vacancy Rates

Question how accurate is the SQM data?
    What other sources to vacancy rates are their?
    Which months of the year do you try to finish your leases?

2. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not sure how accurate their data is but same as CoreLogic and any other data research institutions. For me I just take the data with a grain of salt and use as indicator only.

They used to have it at back of the API magazine while it lasted. I don't think the new API website has included this information now, or probably just me who can't find it...:rolleyes:

I don't have a specific month to finish the lease, but I would definitely try to avoid late Nov, Dec & Jan period which is usually the quieter period due to X'mas/New Year. Other months have worked out fine.