Accountant with US tax experience

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by SoroSoro, 20th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

I am in need of a good accountant with knowledge of UStax law and implications as I'm a US citizen. Doesn't have to file US taxes, just needs to know how decisions made in Aus will affect me.

Local in Melbourne with good property knowledge would be ideal. Any help?

2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

When you find one post his details on PC hat keen to know the US tax on US properties

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There matters are affected by things like trust, super etc. These AU tax vehicles can have nasty US tax impacts. I have a number of US tax clients and deal on that basis. I deal with the local and understand the "nasty"US tax issues. Things like managed investments need a degree of care in AU if they pay capital gains. Our discounted gains arent quite so favourable in USA. Also our depreciation regime on property is not mirrored in USA. After that is often just timing differences and currency related.

4. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

5. Hedgy

Hedgy Well-Known Member

I lived in the US for many years and still have investments there. When I returned to Australia a few years ago I searched high and low for such an accountant. Where I ended up...I used a big 4 accounting firm (EY) for the really complex and potentially costly issues. EY are far from cheap so I only use them sparingly. US tax law is far too complicated for any AU account to offer advice (no offence) so I have a separate US based accountant and AU account and make sure the two of them talk regularly about my finances.

SoroSoro likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia