Accountant recommendation prefer Melbourne, must be up to speed on QBO

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by GoOnAndTell, 14th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

OK i am done with my accountant, constant errors, delays in doing our tax returns (2 trusts & 2 personal), bouncing me from one office admin to the next.

So looking for a good accountant(s) who;
    - Prefer melbourne, but not a must.
    - Understands developments, rentals, and general investment.
    - Can use QBO so i am not paying for them to read a whole bunch of reports i generate and then plug them back into another system.
    - Understands trusts, we have a unit and a family.
    - Can have a strategic discussion around future purchases/sales/structures.

2. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

If you go to the intuit website you can search for accredited QBO accountants. It is a good idea to make sure your accountant understands QBO (or they have team members who understand it) as QBO has some features that are unique to it.

Grow Your Bookkeeping Business | QuickBooks Australia

Craig Seddon and tommo c like this.
  3. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

Ross, thanks very much, I agree given we have chosen QBO it seems important to find an accountant who uses it.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  4. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

sounds like ross and his team are conversant with QBO and he knows property.

sure he is in perth but with technology that distance is very small these days.

maybe give him a call to discuss. our team is based in melbourne but have zero experience with QBO

Craig Seddon likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

QBO is an aweful product and very poorly suited to property related transactions, QS deductions, borrowing expenses, and matters like trust distributions and the like. It may also be a rather damning piece of data to hold on file if the trust distributions arent allocated and also lead to inconsistency between the tax adviser and client... Like most online software it does rely on bank data feeds to maintain integrity and rentals are just not suited to this with even a simple matter like the monthly agent rents being credited as one value but requiring gross-up for the expense deducted and timing of funds retained.Throw offsets and payts by card etc and it just balloons the complexity and errors.

Personally I charge a bit more when clients seek to use retail software for property rents - I have never found anyone truly do it well. I'm happy to drop the fee when I find its OK but typically it isnt. A few use basic things like rent manager etc and despite it printing reports with pound signs etc its fair. Im an accountant and I wouldnt dream of doing it myself using retail software for my situation for the complexity and hassles.