Access to property between contract and settlement?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by hdb, 17th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hdb

hdb Active Member

We've been successful in our search and are now under contract for a PPOR in Eltham, VIC. Building and Pest were done before the offer and now waiting on the valuation only for the lender. Settlement is at the end of January.

(Thanks to everyone who offered advice on working with a broker while having conditional approval from a bank - in the end we were able to get across the line with the bank funding and didn't need more funds. The broker was great to work with in any case and I'll go to him when we buying an IP.)

Is it customary for the purchasers to be able to schedule a time to visit their future home for planning purposes and to organise some repairs that need to be done? We'd like to check some details so we can sort out furniture in rooms and adding things like bike storage. The repairs would be done after settlement before we move in but we want to get estimates from tradies and book them in advance.

I'll go through the listing agent but figured I'd find out if our request is normal. Our last purchase in NZ was new so there wasn't any problem getting access.

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

is it currently tenanted?
    does the owner currently live there?
    Organise with the selling agent.
    Your request is normal, and you should be doing a final inspection before you settle in any regard.

3. hdb

hdb Active Member

Yes, the vendors are living there. I'll talk to the selling agent to organise a time then, after school is over since I know they have kids finishing up exams etc.

We'll definitely be doing a final inspection before we settle.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Unless specified in the contract, access is limited to the pre-settlement inspection, usually in the last few days.

Of course, it never hurts to send a polite request, but approval is at the vendor’s discretion, so be sure to word your request accordingly.

craigc, KateAshmor, Rugrat and 2 others like this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It is not customary, you will need to contract for early access

KateAshmor likes this.
  6. hdb

hdb Active Member

We fully understand that they don't have to let us visit but are hoping they'll accommodate the request. When we sold up in NZ, our buyers stopped by several times to check things out and chat. I actually wrote up a little introduction to the neighbourhood since they were coming from the North Island and explained about various things around the house to make it easier for them to get settled.

7. hdb

hdb Active Member

Thanks - I'll talk to the agent to see what we can organise.

8. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Who did the Building and Pest prior to your offer? You or the seller? If the seller, I'd do my own B&P so you can draw up things that you want the seller to fix.

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. hdb

hdb Active Member

I had my preferred inspector come in to do the B&P and I walked through with him as he did it. That's where my list of fixes was generated. We agreed on the price to reflect us making the repairs since I want them done correctly.

One of the issues was a small leak in a ceiling under a bathroom and the inspector suggested removing the plasterboard, drying the space out and then replacing the ceiling before we paint it. The sellers were like "it just needs a coat of paint and it will be all good!" Yeah, nah: o_O

The Gambler likes this.
  10. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Or perhaps working out where the moisture is coming from ;)

11. hdb

hdb Active Member

That is a given! I have my suspicions but we won't know until it is opened up and we can trace it to the source, whether the bidet in the bath above (what the owners say) or one of the hydronic heating radiators right above the spot (what I think).