Access to driveway on narrow street and neighbours parking

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Whitecat, 5th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I completely empathise with this situation. My opposite neighbour but one had extensive renovations, council insisted on a laneway garage, they have a laneway ROW, however they have never made any attempt whatsoever to use it, too big for their one giant car and one medium sized one, instead preferring to park on the street, (cul de sac) usually on council land abutting their next door neighbour. My next door neighbour struggles every day to get her car in and out of her own driveway. My direct opposite neighbours also have ROW and always use it in this very very narrow street, but, their house is on the market and I am dreading if someone with an SUV or two buys it and also starts parking on the street.
    I realise this is off topic but since I bought the house the entire "fabric" of the street has altered due to owners having multiple, huge, cars, now all you can see in these two formerly picturesque streets are lines of cars parked on the street. First world problem I know.

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Here's one photo. The red car is driving down the street in this photo (on the rhs to get past). Looks to me like length is the problem

Attached Files:

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Can't you just back in? It would make getting in and out a lot easier.

My first unit I lived in had a similar setup but an even narrower shared driveway where the garage was perpendicular to the driveway. I just had to become proficient at backing in as driving nose in wasn't an option without a 136 point turn to get in.

vbplease likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the street I was in yesterday, reversing in won't be an option. I had to pick up one of my girls yesterday from a house in Newtown, Sydney. It would drive me mad living there. Great suburb, but not if you own a car. I suspect that the houses with garages don't use them because of the access issue. I watched someone attempt what must have been a 15 point turn in an attempt to get out of their garage. They gave up and started walking up the street instead. Just doing a reverse park in that street is impossible if the space is not long enough.

5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Um, so your neighbours bought a big car that they dont want to park in their own driveway because their driveway is not big enough?

And from your post your neighbours might get upset if their get a council provided yellow line opposite your garage so you can enter and exit your garage with some convenience?

And, completely irrelevantly, you have been in your place for a month?

If you think your neighbours poor choice of vehicle in such a small street is important, and you dont want to create any issues, maybe consider purchasing a moped.

If you think your neighbours poor choice of vehicle in such a small street is not important in any way, and you dont GAF about creating any issues with those neighbours who might be more inconsiderate and selfish than you, maybe consider purchasing a Mercedes Unimog 4WD with a big bullbar....that will hopefully still fit in your garage...