Access to $10,000 Superannuation in Virus Hardship Cases

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Nodrog, 22nd Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Doubtful even considered. DB funds are usually an afterthought but there’s likely something out there now to address this.
    Any accumulation balances at all or 100% DB?

2. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Expect to receive a question, but if you have the evidence to support your facts that’s it’s all ok, present it & should be fine.
    Again, this is based only on you saying you’re complying as we don’t know the full facts.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ato are issuing a caution letter in such cases. There isnt a specific rule. Many issues to consider. I had a case where the client met the release. But also recontributed a few days later. There was a tax benefit. They sought the Commissioners views prior to lodgement and were told the commissioner would consider cancelling the deduction under part iva
    They decided not to claim a deduction. I agreed. Their deduction amount was eirily within $100 of their total cap. Looked like a scheme.

Baker likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Db rules may prevent release. Fund advice is needed. A db account may not have a balance to access. It has a retirement restricted entitlement

craigc and qak like this.
  5. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

If someone went $2k over the $25k concessional cap on super contributions, but also withdrew $10k due to COVID hardship, does one offset the other?

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Interesting question. If I were a betting person I'd bet for No to win. Two separate matters and provisions.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

The excess contribution is a separate law. But withdrawal can affect capacity to have the fund pay the ECTax in some cases,