absolutely gob-smacked

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Fernfurn, 11th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

Our rented townhouse needs a new exhaust fan and couldn't remember what style. Typed in the address under search just in case there was a listing of it and up came a domain listing, not only with pictures, but an estimate of what it is worth. Bit of an invasion of privacy, but what absolutely floored me was they had even estimated what we owe on it. With all the overkill around privacy issues these days, I feel this is a real invasion of privacy and would like to complain

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

every property in Australia is listed like that now. Its public information.

twisted strategies and TMNT like this.
  3. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Can you share the domain? Might need to check mine

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

just google your address. there are several sites.

5. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Estimation of what the property is worth has been on RE and Domain since ages, but I have never seen (and still dont) estimate of what is owed on it. How would they get this information unless you provided it at some point?

Ignore what I mentioned above underlined. I see what you mean!

6. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

But I can not find which sites that can predict or estimate my debt? very interesting to find out ;)

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely there are any actual debt figures - it's likely a misunderstanding by the OP it's based on some basic assumptions and is not factual.
    "This estimate is based on the property sale price and assumes the owner had a 20% deposit at the time of purchase and has been making principal & interest repayments at a 2.9% fixed interest rate 30 year term since the property was purchased"
    It's highly inaccurate

Last edited: 11th Jun, 2020
    Empire, shorty, Perp and 4 others like this.
  8. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

It shows the Outstanding loan amount, but it is far from accurate. I guess it is doing some kind of calculation based on purchase price and a regular P&I repayment.

9. Lindsay_W

it's the property website, domain.com.au

twisted strategies and ttn like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just googled one of our IPs and the suggested loan amount is only sitting there for you to change, change the years left, choose P&I or IO and then click a button to see your loan options.

But what's interesting is that for a block we've just created and are building on, the UCV is $1m and estimated sale range with "medium confidence" is $275k to $350k.

I've always know these estimates aren't worth much as a DD tool. But this one is just crazy.

craigc, twisted strategies and TMNT like this.
  11. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Looks like the estimate matches to the OP profile :D no harm

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

its not different to those tools/suburb analysis that say the average person living in that suburb would have 2.3 kids, average income of $65k, working in X industry, and has 1.5 cars

twisted strategies and wylie like this.
  13. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Add to this a title search (or a full RP Data description) will reveal the owners name. From there, a little more work on Google, LinkedIn & Facebook will likely reveal a current address or workplace...

The new credit reports show your ongoing loans, how up to date you are on paying everything (including utilities bills). There's privacy protections around these, but that really doesn't stop anyone.

lixas4, twisted strategies and Rugrat like this.
  14. Lindsay_W

But not just anyone can order a copy of your credit report can they?

15. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

The data are held by FI and the likes I know very well but to display on a public website is another matter

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The automatic suggestion of what we owe on the IP I checked has absolutely no bearing to what our loan actually is.

I just checked our places (we don't have many, so doesn't take long :p) and each loan amount and loan term seem to relate to purchase price, with a guess that we would have borrowed with a 30 year term, and taking into account the time we've held. The estimated loan outstanding seems to be in line with this rough calculation.

But our loans are nothing like what we had when we purchased, so I'm feeling quite confident they are just putting the numbers they do have (purchase price, years held) and assuming what a loan would now look like if we had a vanilla mortgage back then and made no changes.

Last edited: 11th Jun, 2020
    Joynz and twisted strategies like this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dont particularly care too much about privacy, however, at the start of time, I posted on a local forum about my missing cat and put my phone number and address,
    even to this day, if you google my number its the first hit on google, I emailed them to remove, but no reply

and that was like 25 years ago........

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You need a drug phone (my wife calls mine that). Dual sim eg Most modern smartphones allow a virutal + hard sim). Hardsim no is published. Soft sim and all outgoing calls with ID blocked is the soft sim. Only "friends" have the soft sim no. And I can add anyone as blocked or unblocked on the soft sim.

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Interesting, I looked mine up also.
    I guess its ok to have a street view pic.
    It is funny to look at all the old pic's obviously from the listing when we purchased, but it raises the question of who owns the right's to use these pics ?
    Example, I employ a photographer to take pics of my property, and in turn I own them, then I list for rent/sale on a web site and use these pic's. Long after the sale MY pics are now being used by these various sites, not quite right under copy right laws if you ask me

Terry_w likes this.
  20. Lindsay_W

I get where your coming from but there's probably a clause in the terms and conditions of using such a website that states the photo's become theirs once you upload them for advertising purposes or some such - typically a tick box with a 1000 word T&C's that you must agree too that then allows you to continue through the site.

21. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

was dating this girl years ago, and id been to her house a few times, and she told me her and her ex bought the house in which year for how much, and fixed it up a bit

2 mins on price finder, and google,

and I found out the name of ex partner, name of previous owners, their job, reason for selling, original ad, before reno pictures, how long on market, how much they bought and sold for, colour scheme of house, types of pets they had (bird aviary)

she was telling a few porkies, but I kept quiet