ABS Survey of Income and Housing.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 21st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've been served to do the ABS Survey of Income and Housing.

I don't feel great about it....

I've received several letters "strongly encouraging me" to complete the survey. I believe they can prosecute if I do not.

I've got no dramas helping the statisticians out...but I strongly feel that this data shouldn't contain identifying info...why do they need to know my name, age and phone number?

The survey will require me providing info from payslips, super accounts, shares, bank account balances for everyone in my home.

Anyone been "blessed" with this before? Anyway out?

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There has been a similar thread,although it sounds like a different survey.
    OZ Bureau of Statistics

The ABS is very strongly committed to the confidentiality of data. I went for a job interview once, I had to show that I could and would keep information confidential.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just do your bit and complete the survey.

Your details will be deidentified - just like in the census, however they have to be able to ascribe characteristics to your answers.

Otherwise how exactly are they able to create big data sets - breaking down income by age and sex, job, household, occupation etc - if they don’t ask those questions?

I suggest reading the FAQs or the information that comes with the survey to allay your fears. Or call them if you are still feeling worried.

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2020
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

About one year ago had to fill in the same questions ,for several months the hard part was the entry code would sometimes work and sometimes not.. Ended up most times ringing up and would complete all the pages over the phone myself i never had a problem with it as most of the questions asked they would already know,between several different departments ..If someone was stupid enough to pass that data on then ''Wakco''

Quote Ronald Reagan..
    Hi i'm from the Government ,and I'm here to help..

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.