About to spend a lot of money

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by fobo, 17th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

If that is the case I can give you a few share that goes to zero instead of a correction :)
    just like WA Market now.

I am talking the whole market

2. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the rest of Western Sydney, that's you generalising not me.

But I can speak for Roselands as I have spent quite a few years living and working in that area. Granted that was a few years back, but AFAIK most of the suburbs in the area under Canterbury-Bankstown Council have a very high population percentage of lebanese. Of course there's some asians like vietnamese and more recently chinese buying in, but I would not consider them the majority yet.

My colleague used to send her son to the public school there but had to transfer to a private school later as it was too "rough" for her kid.

drugs/stabbings/guns and now even JIHADIST/Terrorist recruitment. No stereotyping, the fact is that area is a "rough" neighbourhood, just go and walk around roselands centro and have a drive around the neighbourhood to get a feel of things.

Sure you can raise your kids anywhere, but with 1.1m, i'd rather take my chances in the northern suburbs any day. And I would like to advice anyone asking on a forum of a better option than "roselands".

Of course if op was asking about property investing in roselands then it would be a whole different discussion whether or not to buy in roselands.

3. fobo

fobo Well-Known Member

stats say otherwise Crime Maps | BOCSAR

Not to mention I've grown up around here, my friends and family have too and we're all doing just fine. Maybe you and your colleague are a bit soft?

anyway, decision has been made, thanks for all the input

4. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

Good on you @fobo, with having done your own due-diligence and going with your gut feel for what works for you. When it comes to PPOR, everybody has an opinion but ultimately it comes down to what you think is best for you and your family. So summarising:
    1. Requirements for a PPOR are different to an Investment Property, whilst one should always be fiscally prudent, it's important that the needs are met and the family is happy.
    2. Try to have as maximum deposit / equity as possible with as minimum (manageable) loan as practical. In this regard, selling your unit makes sense.
    3. Take a long term view, at least one property cycle say so 10 to 15 years.
    4. When additional equity becomes available, use that for other investments, and attempt to debt recycle where possible.
    5. Enjoy your new home with family and friends and fire up the BBQ!

fobo likes this.