About to buy IP agent demands 10%

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MyDarlinghurst, 10th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Ok so i found a IP ,in NSW in Lithgow a few hours out of Sydney.

I got pre approval from the Bank and went looking and want to buy the unit.

i do want to buy the property and the selling agent wants 10 per cent deposit,i recall only ever paying 1.25% the last time i bought a IP.

HE DEMANDS 10 PER CENT he said or he wont sell.

i will recall last time the conveyancer telling me 1.25 is ok because its not sold until contracts are signed anyway?

what would you do next ?

obviously i will contact a conveyancer but...does he really need 10% down now ?

is he bluffing me? because i think i recall that even if i put the 10 per cent down he can still sell to someone else?

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2018
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think NSW in general it is 10%. But I might be wrong.

3. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

Usually a 10% deposit on exchange of contract. You can negotiate a lower deposit sometimes though. Otherwise sometimes there is a holding deposit which you might be thinking of which you can pay prior to exchange to give you time to do building and pest reports and due diligence, etc.

4. sdprop

sdprop Active Member

My solicitor told me that 10% isn't legally require in NSW so I said to the agent where would you like the 5% deposit. I was paying asking price though so had some room for negotiation left. RE didnt have a problem with it.

5. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

yes he wants 10 per cent holding deposit....too much

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

When we are selling, the agent will approach us with offers saying "this one is subject to finance and can only put 1% deposit, this other is also subject finance, but has put 10% down" - which one do you think we are more likely to accept?

To us (the seller) the first offer screams of delayed settlement or just a tyre kicker who will crash the contract.

I would avoid them unless i was desperate to sell and there was no other offer on the table.

The Y-man

Hodor, Marg4000 and Ed Barton like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What about the cooling off period 5/10 days?

8. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Last few purchases I have made I've only offered flat $5k deposit. No comment from agent or vendor, accepted in each case. Why pay more than you have to? I think this would likely only be a real issue in a hot market/multi offer scenario.

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Many seller agents in nsw in a warm market will only sell with a 66w and an exchange deposit of between 5 and 10 %.

The 66 w is a waiver of the cooling off which needs to be advised by w solicitor

10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Why would you buy Lithgow?
    I went through the town a few days ago and it’s terrible.
    First thing I noticed was 80% of the people in the main street were old pensioners and the rest were dodgy looking ice addicts looking through the garbage bins.
    Only reason we stopped there was because my wife wanted to get something to eat, the town is dead.
    Anyway, I googled the town while wife was eating to see why it was so weird and the reviews confirmed all, it’s a no go zone and since the BHP steel industry moved to Port Kembla, the town has gone downhill in a big way and will never recover.
    Everyone is moving out, apart from the old pensioners and ice addict vultures.
    High unemployment and high crime.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The vendor has that right.
    Vendor doesn't have to sign anything he doesn't want to.
    Maybe he has been stuffed around before by accepting a contract with a very low deposit.
    Maybe it is not worth it to him/her to take the property off the market on a weak contract with only a couple of thousand dollars refundable deposit.
    Marg

Paul@PAS likes this.
  12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

1.25% on contract, 10% at expiry of cooling off is the norm when I bought in NSW

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.