Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Sensitivity Area

Discussion in 'Development' started by LMD, 25th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LMD

LMD Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Im hoping to lean on some of your expertise today, I am interested in a property but it lands within a Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Sensitivity Area. What and how does this affect developing? I plan on calling the council today to find out more but if anyone can has any experience with this, please help!

All advice is appreciated.

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

You're in Melbourne - are you looking at property in Melbourne / Vic? Each state has different laws over and above Federal requirements.

3. LMD

LMD Well-Known Member

Hey Aaron, Yes the property is in Melbourne.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I have done some pipe laying through such areas in nsw . Check the council Web site for as much info as you can to get familiar with the area and what is required.

Depending on the sensitivity and work you may required to have an appropriate person supervise earth works (possibly an elder or archeologists or even qualified council person)
    If it's a low sensitivity area you have to keep an eye out while digging for any artifacts. If found work stops and reviewed from there, if minor item -carry on, if bigger it will need to be looked at case by case.
    Do it's a bit of a lottery but given residential area and assume work had be done prior out may be lowsensitivity

5. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

^^^ That's a Section 18 from DeptAbAff in WA.

Requires both an elder to identify AND an Archaeologist - both at the project's expense.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Many years ago I worked with a company which by its natuure was involved in many aboriginal heritage sites.

There are several websites providing the necessary info. Each site is catgorised from high value down to insignificant. From memory it even had categories for 'items of significance found in the area" - could mean on the same lt or river catchment area 10 km away.

Some sites requiredmonitori g others full scale consultation.

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

DENNIS DENUTO: "in summing up, it's the constitution, it's Mabo, it's justice, it's law, it's the vibe and no, that's it, it's the vibe.... i rest my case."

bob shovel and Hodge like this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

@LMD do you mind me asking where in melbourne the land is affected?

I know a guy in Melbourne with a large parcel of land that has an aboriginal overlay. Just means he can't develop all the land.

9. LMD

LMD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep looking into and let you know what I find out.

10. LMD

LMD Well-Known Member