Aboriginal cultural heritage overlay- Glen Waverley-Melbourne

Discussion in 'Development' started by James Baker, 7th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James Baker

James Baker Well-Known Member

Hi there

I have been offered an off market property in Glen Waverley, Melbourne Which has an Aboriginal cultural heritage overlay

As it’s a corner plot, I think I can get away with constructing 3 townhouses , but that would trigger the requirements under the above overlay

Any idea how difficult it is to get the approval under the same , the delays I can expect, the costs involved or any other pitfalls
    How much rebate should I ask to compensate me for the above

Cheers

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Why is it being offered off market?

Surely any seller wants the best price possible and advertises a property for sale.

Maybe the heritage overlay is a big problem and will limit what can be built? Investigate carefully.
    Marg

3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The Overlay refers (usually) to land within 200m of a water course, lake etc. So question 1 - how close is the water feature - if you are just on the edge of the threshold it's easier.
    Question 2 - what is the extent of "significant disturbance" of the site - ie, house? retaining walls?
    VCAT has half that a "normal" suburban block will have been "significantly disturbed" - footings, trenches, pacing etc etc over the years. "Significant disturbance" (a planning term, don't get confused, is one of the "out" by which a CHMP can be avoided.
    With proper investigation it may not be a problem at all..... Say "heritage" or "Cultural heritage" and people are scared...but often there is no cause to be.

lixas4, 3rd Drop and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. James Baker

It is about 50 metres only from a water course but a 3 bedroom house, a garage and boundary wall has been made which covers nearly half the property

Cheers

5. James Baker

Also would it require to go to Vcat to get the exemption from the CHMP ?

Cheers

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

No, but will require a submission to the Council to confirm that they cannot require a CHMP. There will, no doubt be reluctance on their part to relinquish "control" but it sounds like you won't need a CHMP
    Get some good quality planning advice (from a planner, not a designer)

7. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

If the site is smaller than 1100sqm and the are of Cultural Heritage is associated with a creek or waterway (not cultural heritage on the actual site itself) it is almost certainly exempt from requiring a CHMP.
    This is a general exemption based on lot size that doesn't apply to properties within 200m of The River Murray or the Coast.

8. James Baker

Any documents available confirming the same ?

Cheers

9. James Cavill

James Cavill Well-Known Member

You can check the Aboriginal Heritage Regulations 2018 and the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 for further information. The regulations should detail 'areas of cultural heritage significance', 'high impact activities' and exempt activities.
    Alternatively, you can use this tool. Activities Questionaire - Page 1