ABN holder discounts on new cars

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Bris Jay, 21st Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

I'm asking on here because I don't want to call a car salesman and trust their advice... I'm looking to buy a new Ford Ranger and there are discounts for ABN holders. I do hold an ABN for a property that I'm developing but the car will be used as a work car for my PAYG job.

Does the ABN discount given by a car dealership have anything to do with the ATO and getting back GST or is it just a factory discount? I absolutely know that I can't claim the GST on the car (unless it's just the tiny % used to do my development) so I have no intention of doing that. Just curious to know if I can just flash my ABN and have the dealer give me a better deal?

2. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Hi Bris Jay,
    Quite simply, no.. whether you have an abn or not will not make a difference to the dealer. These are just advertising ploys.
    Dealers often claim factory incentives and better deals for abn holders, but its all smoke and mirrors. Dealers all buy the cars for the same price and have the same margins. It just depends which dealer is keen enough to give you the best deal to win your business.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Like the "no GST discount"...Its just a discount

Bris Jay likes this.
  4. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

That helps! I negotiate deals for a living so I seriously hate walking into a negotiation without all of the info.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There are some car buyer's agents around ET at the Master Builders Assoc - these guys buy dozens of Utes on a weekly basis to your specs. Other professional associations may have the same.

6. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Couple of lenders have a lo doc products which interestingly are cheaper than their full doc product so as long as you have property, you are purchasing from a dealership and an ABN registered for more than 2 and are registered for GST then you will get the cheaper rate plus there is no servicing required.

Ps. this applies for a lot more equipment than just cars.

7. libertyrx

libertyrx Member

ABN deals are arranged by the manufacturer and is a marketing tool to attract the tradies and small businesses. The dealer will normally receive extra $$ back for these sale types when its being promoted. It doesnt relate to gst.

Can be worth contacting a country dealer as they have lower targets so one sale can mean more to them than a city dealer when it comes to meeting the manufacturer's targets and getting bonuses.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia