Abestosos

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

looked at a property today n the NSW Central Coast.
    Agent admitted it had abestos in the laundry and garage areas but its safe if left alone apparently.

Is there a big cost to remove it? For eg , if i wa nted to tear down the garage would it be costly ?

2. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Not sure about CC. But in Sydney my brother had some removed from his house in the inner west. It was about 4 square meters of ceiling in a backyard bathroom. Cost him $600. He found an ad in the local paper. 3 guys showed up barely spoke a word of English. In one hour they were finished and gone.

3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I hope that those fellows disposed of it properly.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

There's no way I would be using Bodgy Bros from a local paper, especially if I was planning on going back into the property.

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

General figures only but most companies that I have dealt with will charge by the square metre rather than the hours taken and there are cost variables such as:

- Site accessibility and scope of removal
    - Distance to tipping location
    - That tipping locations costs (most average around $500)
    - Larger sheets are easier tor remove than smaller intricate pieces
    - Amount to be removed

So, you can pay anywhere between $50psm to $150spm dependant on the variables so always best to have someone come out and price the job with an inspection and have a fixed price quote.

If you are planning to move back into the property, then you may also want to look at having someone undertake a fibre air monitoring inspection for you. Costs start from $1,000.

Brian84 likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not sure about a garage, but just had a quote to remove asbestos sheeting in kitchen, bathroom and laundry, total was $4,400.

7. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Asbestos is safe if inert. That is unbroken and painted. My opinion is that within a decade it will be illegal to lease a house that contains asbestos.

8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Based on what facts? There are entire suburbs that contain asbestos as it was a product still readily used until the late 1980's and even early 1990's.

9. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Again my opinion. Look at Mr fluffy in Canberra. They are demolishing houses with asbestos insulation.

Going forward. Economic lives of houses are approx forty years. Asbestos use stopped in the eighties, stands to reason that when the economic life of houses built in the sixties or relined houses in the eighties , legislation will be introduced to eliminate this problem and risk for tenants. You wouldn't think that legislators would allow this health risk to remain indefinitely especially when one is generating an income from its use.

10. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Hypothetically, if this were to happen, there would be a period where government re-reimburses the cost of its removal. Think pink bat scheme. But I doubt it would happen anyway

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Legislators don't care - if it raises a liability for the government by banning/restricting the occupancy of existing dwellings, then it won't legislate.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Really? Someone had mbest tell all those people living in houses more than 40 years old and still going strong :p. Every house I've ever owned is well more than 40 years old. Some over 80 and still looking better than a new build.

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Couple of my places are in excess of 65 years of age and still going strong. Of course needed to renovate heaps but still standing and occupied by tenants.

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I know what you're saying. Maybe they'll start with broken asbestos. And then make it illegal for tradies to cut it. Plenty of broken stuff about and lots of tradies still blàse.
    Me, I'll be getting a good mask and seriously consider taking down the old garage myself as per several threads on ss.

Last edited: 11th Aug, 2015
    Ardi likes this.
  15. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Yes . Correct me if I'm wrong. Economic life in way of depreciation is 2.5% on structure. Forty years. Less for other categories.

Second asbestos was used in wet areas predominately. Think kitchens , bathrooms. These definitely are renewed within forty years , sometimes twice.

The other use is external. Subject to elements and mechanical damage.

Putting your head in the sand won't mitigate your potential future obligations of this proven carcinogen. The cure rate of a mesothelioma diagnosis is 0. You will find that tenants going forward won't choose to live in these houses if there are alternatives.

Don't get me wrong I have a place built in 1910 that is awesome with asbestos cladding upgraded in the sixties. All I'm saying that in the near future instead of just painting, I am budgeting to replace this liability even though perfectly functional.

16. Phantom

For some strange reason, I have a feeling they didn't. Especially when not only weren't they wearing proper safety gear, but two of the three guys thought it was manly to remove their shirts and do the job. Talk about a short life!!

17. Phantom

In this particular situation, it was a backyard bathroom. Old 1940's type. Once the asbestos was removed my brother demolished the whole room. So no further traces were remaining.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ah, fair enough, I wouldn't want to be working in a dusty room afterwards.

Phantom likes this.