ABC Story on Negative Gearing

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by samosan, 16th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

Definitely this. There are plenty of people that are "book smart" but are much less successful in "life" than others who are good at dealing with others - negotiating, influencing etc.

Also, I think a personality type that embraces a degree of risk is essential to be successful.

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Singapore has a population density of 8,274 p/km2 compared to Australia which is 3.1 p/km2... That might just have something to do with it...

Think about schools, hospitals, roads, public transport, ports, rail, power (plants and lines) etc they have 2758 times more people per square km than us here in Australia.

I understand that a lot of Australia is vacant but even if you took our three most dense capital cities they are 1237 p/km2 for Sydney with Melbourne being 450 p/km2 (2015) and Brisbane being 148 p/km2... None of these are semi close to the density of Singapore.... So of course we have higher tax because we have less people to put in the same infrastructure. Yes Singapore might need to build an 8 lane freeway compared to Brisbane that might require 4 lanes but the cost isn't double of an 4 lane typically.

So I can easily see why Australia has a higher tax rate and can clearly see an excuse - maybe you cant.

Francesco and inertia like this.
  3. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

maybe you should consider in your analysis also australia has 5x the population and 2x tax rate at the top end. and infinite amount of natural resource compared to singapore.

I totally agree on the fact that australia need to spent ALLOT more in infrastructure because its 100x bigger and spread out. but i repeat again. They Have NOTHING. only resources they have is Man power. Quality Human Resources. Australia have EVERYTHING.

Annual GDP [+] 2017 1,300,000M.$ [​IMG] 320,000M.$ 2017 Annual GDP [+]
    GDP per capita [+] 2017 52,481$ [​IMG] 57,021$ 2017 GDP per capita [+]
    (australia minimum wage $3100 a month, Singapore Min Wage is $1100 a month)

Australian GDP is 4x of singapore

but per capital is less .

only excuse i see is waste.

4. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

I think the ethos about government spending is more about ideology. The post war consensus in the West is more about welfare ("transfer payments") rather than infrastructure spending.

I think the connection to population density is interesting, but the United States is relatively sparse and believes in limited government and low taxes. This combination of low taxes and limited government (maximum freedom) tends to produce the best outcomes and wealth for its citizens.

5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I am not saying the Govt doesn’t waste money, plenty of examples around however the cost of living is higher here so min wages would be but also any development would cost 3x more just on labour as heck the minimum wage is 3x greater.

6. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

to add the currency of SGD is just as strong as AUD.

australia need to step up or get left behind.

7. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

I think you may enjoy this presentation from Venture capital firm lux. The second half of it is all about how disadvantage/trauma and not fitting in to societal norms causes people to be miss priced by the employment market and becomes a driver for success.

Higgo and kierank like this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Great presentation, thanks.

My father was a very religious man and he had a very unusual view on trauma/disadvantage.

His view was that God only delivered/exposed people to massive trauma/disadvantage if He felt they were “strong enough” to handle it.

In 1969, my 10 year old sister was killed instantly in a car accident (I was 12 and at boarding school) and Dad was driving the car.

Some say it was Dad’s fault but he was never charged. Dad spent 3 months in a coma but was finally released from hospital.

The pain, the guilt, the emotions, ... he must have experienced must have been huge but, in the end, he made a fairly good recovery and lived for nearly another 30 years (being a heavy smoker was his undoing).

I am sure his belief on trauma/disadvantage gave him the strength to pull through. Many others would given up and just “dropped off the planet”.

9. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing and i am sorry for your loss, you would have to dig deep within to find the strength to move on from that kind of tragedy. I personally know of someone who suffered something very similiar, but was almost completely at fault for ruining the life of another person. He couldnt carry the weight and ruined his own life as a consequence.

I am glad you enjoyed the video, the creater is a guy called Josh Wolfe he is the ultimate contrarian. He has made a career in venture capitalism by investing in areas and in people that have been ignored by the market. He starts his day by reading articles published in several newspapers to find what others are intrested in and what areas of investment and reaserch are currently popular. So he then knows to ignore those themes and ideas for his own reaserch and investment.

Higgo and kierank like this.
  10. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

I am really sorry for the loss and suffering your family had to go thru.

There is no greater pain than the loss of a child.
    Men in particular have a hard time with expressing their grief. Though outward tears may dry up, a man’s intense pain is still there, buried deep inside him.
    So I can only try to imagine what it would be for your father to go thru his entire life.

edit: Removed some personal details which I wrote in an emotional state.

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2018
    Marg4000 and kierank like this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.