[ABC] Financially independent by 35?

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Spiderman, 14th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't need to work so I wouldn't need much childcare.

But I take the point that its probably less feasible with kids and a family. But I'm not really aiming for either in the foreseeable future.

chylld and jprops like this.
  2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I was thinking this.. im almost $20k/yr out of pocket due to my little one going to daycare 4 days a week.

Kassy likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love this......Hehe..... but you can grow garlic

Sackie, EN710 and Lizzie like this.
  4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

This harks back to @sash's thread - the fewer hours you spend at work, the fewer expenses you will have.

Unless you would still prefer to send your little one to daycare even when you're home, just so you can enjoy some quiet time ;)

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Wait until you hit 60.

You will REALLY find out how little you know and, then you will start forgetting what you did know :eek:.

trinity168, fols, Sackie and 4 others like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

.. and awesome wine pastes ... and moving into cut flowers ... alongside the usual renos and developments :D ... still know nuffin'

Alex Straker, Nodrog and MTR like this.
  7. PropStar

PropStar Active Member

I was thinking the same thing...wait til he gets married, has a few kids, his perspective will change.
    And as David Lee Roth famously said, ' money can't buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big 'ol yacht that you can park right beside it.

8. joel

joel Well-Known Member

$40k is heaps if you don't have kids

Observer and Jamie Moore like this.
  9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great mindset indeed but too simplistic and shortsighted. Unless his 1 million keeps compounding, he'll be short on cash in a few years just like many stated above.

I believe something in between would be optimal. Like being debt/mortgage free, owning your own house and still doing some work in order to earn money. Not having to worry about a mortgage would at least give one the opportunity to look for a satisfying job.

10. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

That requires saving up for a deposit, and paying off a mortgage; exactly what he is trying to avoid in the first place:
    He is not seeing the value of property as an investment vehicle, and all the fruit that the associated equity can bring. He is still delaying gratification but only for the medium term, not the long term.

paulF likes this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@chylld , i'd probably do the same if i was in his position and age at this point in time to be honest as in stay away from property wether it being an IP or a PPOR (Some markets at least...). I am 35 now and started with property in 2011.
    Needless to say myself and anyone who started back then should consider themselves very lucky(obviously depending on the market again)

12. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

By the time he is 35 property may have calmed enough for him to acknowledge it as a viable investment... however it remains to be seen whether he'll save enough of his $20k/yr (assuming his other $20k/yr is spent on rent) and also if his investment income will service a loan.

13. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

$40k PA isn't enough for me but if I think back to when I was a kid, it probably was.... things change!

My crystal ball forecast is that he'll hit 35 and he will have the $40k passive income he wants and he will retire, but he will end up back earning an income. Only difference is he will do something he enjoys and is passionate about it.

14. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Only person I’ve met who’s said they were retiring early and turned out to have the financial capacity to do that was a guy who bought a servo on a side road which due to traffic changes turned out very lucrative . After working it himself to buy a house etc he leased it to a major for 4 k a week...

There have been people who have announced on the forum that they’d retired but they didnt really .... and a song writing friend also announced he’d retired . Just got an email this morning saying he couldn’t write for a while as he was having to work hard .

Of interest the first person mentioned got tired of playing golf with guys 20-30 years older than him and went back to work as an angel investor because he needed something to do or he’d go crazy .

Cliff

15. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

He says he has 250k now and needs 1 mil to retire in 5 years. So he needs to make 750k in 5 years. He probably lost 20k last week...

willair and See Change like this.
  16. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

He has a great plan and his blog is pretty good too. He will get there I think.

Parkzilla and Nodrog like this.
  17. @FruitCake@

@FruitCake@ Well-Known Member

The short time frame makes me feel he’s a little exposed to sequencing risk, but good on him for at least having a plan to begin with. Most people around his age wouldn’t even think about saving.

I spend a lot of time lurking around the FIRE forums and for me FIRE is a spectrum and where you choose to be on that spectrum depends on the lifestyle you’re after and what suits your circumstances the best. But at the end of the day, you can’t really go wrong saving and investing what you earn.

orangestreet likes this.
  18. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Imagine being 35 and being able to **** away your entire engineering paycheck every week, on whatever you want!

19. Parkzilla

Parkzilla Well-Known Member

Thought I’d share this article given the first half makes some relevant observations.

I realise the person that is the subject of this thread is in a slightly different socio-economic situation to Barnaby, but just goes to reinforce that the incomes we desire are heavily influenced by what we get accustomed to (rather than what we “need”)!

Of course Barnaby Joyce wants to stay put - he needs the money

Snowball likes this.
  20. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Tough crowd here.