Abandonment of Rental Property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by willair, 4th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not much Wylie,the washing machine lounge table chairs kitchen table-beds is all ours ..
    Strange item is my Wife and myself helped the tenant move in unpacked her ute signed the lease ,bond took 3 weeks to go in then never paid for 5 weeks..never again..

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I hope she turns up, and gives back the keys tomorrow and signs that form for you.

Fingers crossed.

willair, EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

What happens, IMO, is a lot of tenants know the system pretty well, and they know when they have it over a landlord who may be soft or not know the laws, they know what to do, how to time things, how to avoid eviction etc...

Then you have people who are dumb and just do not care.

You have to filter the second out before they get a foot in, the first are ok if you follow the rules.

A lot will depend on how people are interacted with, and what they pick up, not unlike how some buyers do well, and others overpay and are easy.

But then you can do everything right, and someone goes off the rails or has some bad luck or tragedy happen, so you can't cover off for everything.

Must be a long few days for you, here is hoping it goes well tomorrow, hope so :)

Perthguy and willair like this.
  4. willair

All,s good,waited outside 4.30 goes by,then sitting on the footpath thinking what the RTA
    told me yesterday even with the first form then the second one ..Plus they close up on the 20th before the second form and a turn around time would take me into the 3rd week of the first month of 2017 too fix this in RTA legal terms....

Tenant turns up by herself,around 5.13 with her ute ..Just say to myself "STAY-CALM" and walk in ,shake her hand and just listen ..And as most people at some time in their life apologize so they just do it again and again..
    I pull out all the RTA papers ,and the mutual agreement from the Solicitor ,and i lay everything on the bonnet of the the Ladies ute..All i said we can finish this right now
    the $1600.00 bond i take the $410.00 you still owe i will waiver and i will help you with your fridge and what ever is inside if we both sign if we finish this now,and next time we see other walking down the street there is nothing to worry about..
    We both sign,help her with all the gear pack the ute tie it down shake hands gives me the keys and she drives out ,i drive in all the tunnel vision stress worry is gone ,walk down the back of the block and check the fig tree i planted with our daughters 16 yeras ago it,s full of half grown figs ...

Ouchmyknees, sharon, Toon and 8 others like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Great result @willair! :)

Oh, and I would have checked on the fig tree too. It's funny in situations like that the things we find important.

EN710 and JenW like this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Good, no need for the stress :) glad it was not made overly difficult.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm so pleased this worked out and you can now move on. Great result.

9. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

What a relief! Good work :D

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Well done!
    But once the nerves settle, take time to reflect on how you will act to nip a similar situation in the bud before it blows out into a major problem.
    There are always lessons to be learned ...
    Marg

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I believe @willair has hired a property manager

12. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Wow - a great end to that story. So happy it worked out for you.

13. willair

What i have learnt from this experience is,if i would have given the notice to remedy breach forms from the start ,but i made the mistake of letting the rent blow out over 4 weeks ,then once they know they can get away with it ,then it becomes a real problem too manage..
    Cleaned the house out on the weekend found a flag behind one of the bedroom doors maybe 15 hours work then hand it over too a property manager late this week..