Abandoned House

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by balwoges, 2nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I posted a message a few weeks ago about the repossession of my neighbours car and having to call the police.

Its now 3 months since my neighbours departed, the electricity and water have been turned off and the hens left in the backyard have disappeared. The debt collectors have returned to see if the car is still there however this time they did not break into the house. Hunter Water have also been trying to find them.

Its obvious that they have left behind a mountain of debt. The house and grounds have been left in a terrible state, the pool in the backyard is green scum and the backyard is gross. Our neighbor has never mowed the grass since we moved here [over 2 years].

The neighbor on the other side of the house has tidied up the front yard, the grass and bushes were over a 1m high – I have taken a shopping bag of mail to the post office and asked them to stop the mail as it was spilling over onto the ground. The PO is still delivering mail and left a message in the postbox to the owner that uncollected mail could be picked up from the PO!

My neighbor on the other side and I don’t want the house to look neglected for obvious reasons. My question is what is going to happen?

I cant imagine the house would be mortgage free, but how long will we have to look after the house before action is taken?

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

It takes a long time to go through the process for a mortgagee to exercise power of sale, however I suspect that process is well underway based on what you've said.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

could be around 6 to 12 months. perhaps sooner as the process already under way..
    I suggest you get your finance ready to purchase!

4. balwoges

He remarked to us that he would never sell the house [worth about $800,000+] so its possible he would be paying the mortgage. We suspect he has gone back to China to raise the money he owes, he told my son he was having financial problems some time ago and somehow managed to scrape the money up.

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

You can contact the council about the state of the house. They may be able to tidy it up (legally) if it's causing safety issues.

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

After having lived in Asia for many years, I have found that usually there is gambling involved somewhere in these sorts of situations. Not always of course....but certainly more often than not!

I'd be be taking @Terry_w 's advice and making sure my finance was at the ready.....

7. balwoges

Ye Gods! I dont want to buy it, I just want a neighbour who mows the lawn occasionally and you can say g'day to ... :)

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

@balwoges
    Move into the place, live rent free as caretaker
    Rent your place out
    Win - Win :D

Guest likes this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Go for adverse possession