Cars & Motorbikes Abandoned car outside house

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by tattoo, 27th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

So someone has parked their car outside my house, in a legit spot, since end of March. The interior, like the seats looks pretty avg and manky, the outside isn't great but the license plate is still there. Its currently getting covered by spiderwebs and crap falling from the tree above.
    Its not really in the way but its annoying as no one can park there and what if its really been abandoned.

It is a bit random, anyone have an idea what to do ? Is there a way of checking if it is actually abandoned and can get the council or someone to move it ? Is there a waiting period or something like that I start documenting ?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

After checking with the neighbours, you should call Council. Or search their website under 'abandoned vehicles'.

Here, they try to contact the owner. If the owner is contactable, and has chosen to park it legally, there is nothing that can be done as it isn't considered abandoned.

May be diff in NSW.

3. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Check to see if it is currently registered:
    https://my.service.nsw.gov.au/MyServiceNSW/index#/rms/freeRegoCheck/details

Too bad if it is registered & legally parked, even if broken down.

However, as it is illegal to park an unregistered vehicle on a public roadway, the local council will then act. A council ranger will stick a notice on the windscreen giving the owner a limited time (2-7 days depending on which council) to move it, after which time a tow truck will be called to remove it. Problem gone!

Stoffo likes this.
  4. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

Thanks, the car rego expired Feb 2016... I'm lodging a request to council but the Parrmatta council website sucks and full of bugs

5. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

datto likes this.
  6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Don't think you needed "website" in the above sentence!

mikey7, datto and TMNT like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

?pick up a phone and call council?

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Whack a "for sale" on the windscreen and refer any prospective buyers to your facebook page. Easy money.

Tom Rivera and Ted Varrick like this.
  9. dodger21

dodger21 Active Member

Ring the police. They can check whether it’s wanted for fingerprints etc if it was used to commit a crime before being dumped.
    The police then remove the plates and return them to the RTA if rego is expired. The police also ring your council for you to get it towed away

Gockie likes this.
  10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I had this. The car was registered though so nothing could be done.

But then some mystery person... certainly not me as I am an upstanding citizen. But some horrible person after 6 months of the car being there removed the number plates so it looked like it wasnt registered and it was towed away by some random tow truck driver that spotted it a week later.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

My mum had a car parked outside her place for weeks. She phoned the council (Brisbane) and they contacted the owner. Apparently car had broken down. Owner arranged to move it to his own home.
    Marg

12. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

We had the same thing happen in Parramatta but the car was over our driveway by 20cm and even then took months of calls to council and the police before they came to check it out 2 council stickers were put on it as well over that time. They found out it was left by one of the renters in a housing block up near us who had passed away and her body was still in the unit. They moved it that day. :(

13. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

This is something most Council's will sort out...eventually once they go through their abandoned vehicle process.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

What an awful person :O

Tim86 likes this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Always amazes me how people feel they own the public street outside their place and that no one else has the right to park there...

If there ever is a next time, I hope you get caught stealing the number plates and prosecuted.

16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Hopefully you too will experience the joy of having the spot where you park your car taken up by an abandoned car for 6 to 12 months despite multiple calls to council, so you can demonstrate your steadfast moral resolve.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

From memory of the images you posted in the reno thread, I thought your property was quite large - with plenty of onsite spots to park?

Anyway, to answer your question, I had that exact situation for a couple of years. Turned out to be a neighbours van. Registered. Legal. Perfect right to be there - even though it annoyed me because leaves built up underneath and the street sweeper couldn't clean that side. Had to get in there myself with a brush and shovel.

However, I never even considered stealing the numberplates. And would never consider it. It’s not my car park, it’s public no one has a right to park there. Stealing the numberplates is a pretty low act.

18. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I used to have a neighbour that complained about ME parking in front of MY house. It was one of those realization moments where I came to the conclusion that really, the street is a public place, and anyone can park anywhere, so get over it.

Then there is the case of trailers and whatnot parked on the street and never moving. Recent rule changes (not sure if it was local gov or State) were introduced to deal with this, and I think it is appropriate. For example, a person used to park their catamaran on a trailer opposite my kids' school. Was actually quite wide and an obstruction on the narrow st. Happy that it has now been moved.

Cheers,
    Inertia

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

It was a share house so 5 cars trying to park. It was a decade ago. Was the only house on the street (industrial area). Parking was sparce due to businesses in the area.

After 6 to 12 months of having no where to park near my place because of it I was ready to light the car on fire.

Im glad having to shovel up the leaves from your neighbour's car didnt bother you.

These days I probably would have just towed it up the street where it wasnt in the way. But alas Ive never lost sleep over it.

- Actually I think from memory the plates were removed so a housemate could put them on his car to nip down the road for a roadworthy so he could get his own plates. So they were going back on the car but within a day or two the car was towed away. It was gone surprisingly quickly.

Lol Ill admit you do some dodgy things as a teenager.

Last edited: 8th May, 2018
    Tom Rivera likes this.