ABA bank payment file format

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Simon Hampel, 7th Jun, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Technical question - does anyone know where I can find a definition of the file format for .aba files which are used to process bulk-payments to other bank accounts.

Most online business banking services utilise this file format - and Quickbooks and other software can generate these files - but I need to write my own software to generate them.

So far Google has been unhelpful :(

I will contact my bank next week - but I'm not hopeful of finding someone who actually knows what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

2. jabba_jones

jabba_jones Active Member

3. Simon Hampel

Thanks jabba - that looks like the info I was looking for. Just wanted to see what the files looked like.

Not sure if that's how I'll do things yet. More research required.

4. rejeev

rejeev New Member

ABA file

Hi Sim,

Please let me know how you did this file using your application. I am trying to create the same file using DotNet. please help.

Thanks,
    Rejeev.

5. Simon Hampel

Hi rejeev, I haven't got that far with my project yet. It is likely that we won't end up doing direct credit anyway, so I may not implement it at all.

6. blue

blue New Member

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread, I found this while trawling through google and thought other readers may be interested. I've built a CSV to ABA file converter which has been deployed to several banks now, you can find out more at www.bluechillitechnology.com/aba . There's also full documentation on the format and guides to follow should you wish to write your own program. Best of luck!

7. MrPjb

MrPjb New Member

8. John Green

John Green New Member

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Can’t you just save it as tab delimited csv?

10. John Green

John Green New Member

ABA Files need to comply with the specifications issued by the Australian Bankers Association.
    Including descriptive record, detail record, file total record, type of record. The ABA format is a A tab-delimited text file. i.e. units of text are separated by a tab character. These tab characters organize the text into tabular data. While CSV uses comma-separated values.