A snap shot of what is happening on the ground in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Lisa Parker, 31st Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Where?
    Sign of the times

2. mues

mues Well-Known Member

Inner north and inner north east. All between 800k and 1mil

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Interesting Thanks

As I suspect all markets will feel the pain, some more than others

4. mues

mues Well-Known Member

Seems passed in and now being listed above the range for a couple. Interesting times.

MTR likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Not sure of motivation for original post, but I decided against Mel a while ago, for same reasons as Syd, had already been on the boil, and is now time for both to be smashed....and hard I would say, unless we have some sort of boom or free money real soon....

I think Adelaide and Brisbane are, or were recently, the good buy in markets, as well as many NSW regionals, but they have taken off too, so maybe Perth and other regionals I do not know of are the smart money for now, along with Adelaide and Brisbane.

Toon likes this.
  6. berten

berten Well-Known Member

House I was watching auctioned with a guide of 1.8 to 1.98, says sold for 1.75

Bayside, Melb

8 out of 10 auctions in the suburb passed in

Last edited: 28th Oct, 2018
  7. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

the Sydmelb obsession with auctions, is it normal? It must be the same in London, Hollywood, Manhattan, Paris, Amsterdam etc...

No matter how many properties get passed in at auction in a certain suburb the next batch of properties are for auction too. It’s like the agents know how much the market value is but they’re hopeful that FOMO will drive the price way above reserve.

This might be the normal practice in all top cities OR this might be unique to Aus indicating this is a bubble. It’s important to know.

8. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Is it legal for a property that got passed in on 3 successive vendor bids to be then listed as "passed in" at the highest vendor bid?

9. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

I think we all know what OPs motivation was...

10. mues

mues Well-Known Member

The ones I saw yesterday. That’s how they are listed in the result. Now all private sale 50-80 higher than passed in bid.

I believe it’s common practice.

Buynow likes this.
  11. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Ok, I would have thought that there would be laws in place to address it. Seems misleading if someone is just going off the auction results..

Someguy likes this.
  12. mues

mues Well-Known Member

The most interesting thing in Melbourne at the moment is that agents and buyers don’t seem to know what houses are worth. I’ve stood in places advertised as 800k, 900k, 1mil and 1.1 in the last few weeks.

Sometimes I think “I’d pay the 8XX. Then I go to the 9XX and think - wow, if this is 9XX that 800 place is overpriced.” Same happens when I go to the 1mil joint.

Considering I’m relatively educated on the market, it makes for an interesting time for all.

13. mues

mues Well-Known Member

Yah, but if you are going to watch a place get passed in and have a crack, best to show to the auction anyway and see if there is any buyers there or if nobody shows up.

But I do agree. It should say “vendor bid”

14. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Any updates or forecast for Wyandham Vale?

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I can assume from a quick glance, but was not really trying to nut it out....so I err...

16. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

These numbers - today's Age auction results - probably don't tell the whole story but they are somewhat striking when it comes to the 'best' suburbs:

Passed in/Total: Beaumaris 8/9; Brighton/E 14/21; Camberwell 9/11; Canterbury 3/6; Hawthorn 5/6; Kew/E 11/15; Mont Albert/N 6/8; Toorak 5/6

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Please expand ?

always challenging when one person speaks for "all" but is unclear in their communication.

ta
    rolf

18. berten

berten Well-Known Member

In L.A, seller sets asking price takes offers from there.

19. berten

berten Well-Known Member

I wonder why folks are still going to Auction?

qak likes this.
  20. Jimmyay

Jimmyay Well-Known Member

It’s a peculiarly Melb and Syd phenomenon to commonly auction fairly standard family homes although I believe it also happens in South Africa quite a bit . Generally not in the US.

In London and indeed the rest of the uk virtually no “normal” residential properties are auctioned. Vendor sets the price, you go up or down from there depending on market conditions at any one time! Only properties that go to auction are absolute wrecks, bankrupt estates, or super high end prime properties. Some commercial property is auctioned but resi not often at all.

I found it one of the big differences when I moved to Melb from the uk was to find auction was such a normal way to sell residential property here and indeed a form of live street theatre at the weekend.

As a Brit, the idea of competing to buy your house in public with all the neighbours watching and everyone knowing what you paid for your house is excruciating...culturally it’s so different

I do think it quite strange that given the high failure rate of auctions these days, other methods of sale are not considered in Melb - but auction culture is very ingrained here.