House & Home A question for those with theatre rooms

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dan Donoghue, 20th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Save yourself $1000 by installing yourself. It's not that hard. I just built a dedicated 7.1 (soon to be 5.1.2 Atmos setup), 130" fixed screen projector setup, with raised seating platform for the back row.

Save yourself another $5000 by buying your speakers second hand. Trust me on that one. I spent $120 only on my speakers from eBay and it's flawless.

If you want to entertain the projector route, make sure you measure the room and play around with the tools over at projectorcentral ProjectorCentral
    It'll show what size screen fits the geometry of the projector you're considering.

It looks like one side of the room is mostly glass? That might be a problem with rattling. If it is, you might have to consider slapping some sound deadener on the glass itself.

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Dan Donoghue
    Go check out HiFi Audio and Video Suppliers For Over 35 Years located at Dural.

I got my setup there. Guys are knowledgeable and have 2 dedicated rooms setup for sound testing (so bring your phone with some music to plug in). They are also priced quite competitively.

I personally think multi speakers crap over a sound bar.

I spent $1650 several years ago on a Paradigm 5.1 setup + Yamaha receiver. Don't get to use it much these days, but it does sound awesome :D

Can't remember where I read it, but I do recall my research indicating the sound aspect of a Home Theatre should make up around 50% of the total cost.

3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Are theatre rooms falling down the list of desirable items in a house?

It seems to me that everyone in a household wants to watch something different these days with streaming.

Maybe you need a theatre room for each household member and an extra one for guests?

4. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

With a 75" in the lounge room, I am now wondering if I even need a cinema room, I might see how I feel 3 months after we move in. I have always dreamed of having one but now I need to work out how much I would use it and what else that space could be used for if we didn't convert it to a cinema room. Possibly a bar and games room? This way I could still wall mount a decent TV in there but there would be less focus on beefy sound and sound proofing.

As always, I end up second guessing myself and now have more questions than before :p.

I like this idea of a games room because I am keen on building some arcade machines, they would go very nicely in there next to a bar of some sort.

Thanks all for your information, I will check out all the links and see what can be done, just need to work out what I want which I guess no one can help me with lol.

5. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Precisely what I've done Dave

6. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Another vote for Yamaha here.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3050 driving B&W 603, 601, CC6 speakers (the CC6 has a different tweeter as I hated the stock one) from the late 90s and a 15" DTX 200w sub. This is in the lounge room plus I've cabled outside speakers on zone 2 which we use for parties and I have the zone 4 HDMI out running into a HDMI over IP multicast transceiver to feed the outside TV and the TV in our bedroom. Very nice being able to let my son play Xbox somewhere other than the lounge room when I want to watch Foxtel and then flick the Xbox back to the lounge room for when I want to play it.

Very happy with the setup, especially as I didn't buy any part of it new so saved lots of $$$.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

8. Dan Donoghue

Holy crap, that looks awesome :)

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Looks like you're on a Star Destroyer or something.

10. Dan Donoghue

Update: I work from home 1 day a week, the space has been turned into my office :)

Lizzie, kierank and inertia like this.