A pic from today's routine property inspection...

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tahli, 15th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tahli

Tahli Member

Some creative observations. The PM just commented that she could definitely smell the obvious. And yes, he is in breach of his lease by smoking in the property. Apparently he rang the PM today explaining that he thought the inspection was today. I inherited this tenant when I purchased the property.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Spot on. Certainly the company the tenant keeps may be questionable. A few undesirables there I bet.

Any chance of someone passing the address onto me?

I'd like to demonstrate and sell them a mull-o-matic. Heaps cleaner, less waste and no need for scissors.

TapTap and dabbler like this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol....classic @datto

I suppose the difference is simikar to somone who likes to go out and have a drink, or a wine etc at home before or with a meal etc.......and somone who smashes 2 flagons of wine down a dary...or jugs of sherry...,and slur every word.

But wine etc does not stink up the house, nor would a smoke outside.....

But how many casual smokers of pot leave a bowl and scissors and bong out on the table every day ? None is my guess. And this type is prob paranoid too, so they ait gonna do it outside.

If the house stinks to the PM.....then it will to any future tenants etc as well.....if you inherited them and it already stinks and filthy, then maybe ask them to smoke outside.....knowing they are likey the type to ignore you.....they dont even know what day it is....lol

Tahli and datto like this.
  4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

There is no pot in the bowl.
    It looks like a manky cat food bowl.

5. dabbler

Cat food smokers are even worse !

TapTap, Tom Rivera and Redwing like this.
  6. Tahli

Tahli Member

I also feel for my lovely neighbour who has just started running his apartment (duplex) as an AirBnB. I can only imagine the potential reviews from guests about the aroma wafting from the adjacent balcony as they sit out enjoying the ocean view.
    I'm in agreement that the stench would be permeating the carpets and curtains.
    Prior to purchasing the property it was let out by a different RE agent where the tenant was, at times, up to 28 days late paying rent, but a breach was never served. When I purchased the property and moved the management over to a new agent, the PM has had to call him weekly about paying his rent, and then he pays it within 1 day of being served a breach. His tenancy expires at the end of July.

7. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Install a hard-wired smoke alarm that can't be disabled. Or make a suggestion that the tenant uses a vape device for his consumption. Same effects, no smoke, no lingering smell.

8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

What would my insurer expect me to do? Would I be expected to call the police and report that a someone is smoking weed in my rental property? I can imagine the police would take my call very seriously! I reported drug dealers across the road from one of my IPs when I was witnessing drug deals in full view when I was renovating, I even had photos- guess what- the dealers are still dealing! I really would love to know what I would be expected to do? When I bought one of my IPs it was being used as transitional housing, there were bongs on the coffee table and putrid living conditions with a toddler walking around- I did call DHS in regards to the baby's living conditions, however there is nothing anybody can do about tenant drug use. The real estate agent said that every open they had there were drugs lying around in full view, yet these tenants all were being checked on regularly by their case workers and still were left to live like this.
    You can't evict a tenant if they are drug users, thats discrimination and would get them very special treatment at VCAT!

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

To be honest, if you have carpet I think red wine would be much more expensive to clean up. We bought a house that was heavily smoked in, and honestly, once cleaned out you really don't smell it. We don't have carpet in it though. And I am not a smoker of any type, and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke with a passion.
    Having said that, if the rent is being paid late etc, definitely not the type of tenant you want.

10. dabbler

Take it easy.....

I said your insurer, not the police, and I did not say for suspecting they take dope, come to think of it, your a bit paranoid...no ? :p

Cops ain't going to mount an investigation and bust a drug ring in a day cause you called them, it is likely very old new to those concerned anyways.

11. dabbler

If there is no carpet, and it all is hard or sealed surfaces, then a clean usually fixes everything, apart from damp mouldy type smells.

Otie likes this.
  12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Do you have to report tenant drug use to an insurer though? I am genuinely asking this as I don't know. I'm not paranoid I just thought the whole thing was really funny, I just imagined calling the cops to report some bong head tenants and it made me LOL

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

It really gave me the $hits though because the dodgey junkies kept stealing copper from my property every time we went home. I thought if we can eliminate the dealer house they may stop stealing our copper pipes to get their $20 worth of drugs!!

14. dabbler

Yeah, they can be pretty petty, better off not around those kind, they put more effort into doing the wrong thing than getting a normal job and doing your time....

15. dabbler

Prob not, but if you knew there was a drug lab and they were taking the house apart bit by bit, and your were found to be turning a blind eye......

16. val

val Well-Known Member

Yes I'm sure someone will turn a blind eye to someone taking their house apart bit by bit
    /s

17. val

val Well-Known Member

No.

18. dabbler

You must have little experience.....I have seen it happen before, also, should not assume PM is doing job properly cause I see them do the wrong thing plenty of times and owner gets house back destroyed...

19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Sustained smoking inside is one of the worst things a tenant can do- I'd rather they took to the house with an Axe. No insurance company will cover it and the smoke gets into EVERYTHING. I've seen $15,000 spent on a very average house from tenants who were only there for a year, smoking dope inside. They had to replace the curtains, carpet, re-grout the tiles, forensic wash of all remaining surfaces, ozone generators, the list goes on......!

20. dabbler

And the type that typically smoke all the time, along with other house mates, have very poor cleaning or cleanliness skills.

See how well that attitude of "they are paying the rent" went for Toms example, might want to double the rent if housing pigs, unless your happy to have a pig stye and only attract those type again.