A nice general airbnb guest article

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Gockie, 9th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I have checked a few times for previous trips and AirBnB-ing a whole apartment is always more expensive than a cheap, decent hotel. You can maybe save if you stay in a spare room (or if you always book luxury hotels) but that's not an equal comparison IMO. If you're sharing a bathroom (for example), that's closer to staying in a hostel than a hotel.

Marg4000 likes this.
  2. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Cimbom The value comes when you have a family or 3 or more. And the fact you get an entire apartment to yourself (eg kitchen, laundry etc) as opposed to a room with beds and a TV.

geoffw likes this.
  3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would rather rent a cheap hotel and eat out compared to paying extra for an apartment and cooking myself. That's half the fun of a holiday!

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It depends on your tastes and preferences.

When I travel alone, I don't mind sharing a place. It's a great way to get to know a place from the inside, and I've made some good friends, some of whom I still keep in touch with.

Quite often you have a bathroom to yourself, but sharing isn't a problem to me. I stayed recently in a 6BR share house (not Airbnb, but a 3 month stay), where one person had on en suite and the others shared a common bathroom.

My wife doesn't want to share a place with anybody, so we choose accommodation according to what's available, and what looks good. Price is a consideration, but it's not the only one. Sometimes it's Airbnb, sometimes not.

A unit can be good in saving meal costs. When we travel with family members (which doesn't happen so much any more) we found it much more cost effective to stay in a self contained unit, whether it's AirBnb or not. With kids, it takes away the pressure of having to be at breakfast by a given time. Often we would eat out for lunch and dinner but have a simple breakfast in house - which is what we did when we met up with our daughter in Sydney recently. At times we would just buy things for a nice but not fancy lunch. We rarely, if ever, made ourselves a full meal. But this can make a big difference in your total budget, and something to take into consideration when comparing prices- if you're so inclined.

We recently had an Airbnb in Penang for a week- it was great. A loft apartment with a magnificent view, with fantastic food courts very close by. It was good being able to stay out late if we wanted, without having to get up by a deadline to eat.

Sometimes it's just the experience. I would normally compare everything available, and choose (within a budget range) according to what the place offered. So at Petra we stayed in a modern hotel for two nights, but one night in a 2000 year old cave with Airbnb outside the tourist area.

I've stayed in some magnificent places with Airbnb, some magnificent hotels, and some pretty crappy of either.

BTW, sometimes hotels have properties in Airbnb, so they are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2017
    teetotal likes this.
  5. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

But this is what YOU like and there are businesses(namely Hotels) catering for that part of demand.
    However there are others who would like a different experience and there are businesses(namely AirBnB/stayz) catering for that part of demand.

These are not apples (pink lady or red delicious) that you can compare as an apple.
    These are fruits (apples and grapes).
    Some people like to cut their own portions of fruit, and for them there is apple at $2/Kg.
    While others like to get served the prepared portions, and for them there are grapes at $6/Kg.

I hope this make sense. (Don't hold me accountable for fruit prices):D

geoffw likes this.
  6. rambotrader

rambotrader Well-Known Member

You have a point but awareness is important because changes for the common good NEVER happen in business unless people speak up. You know the old saying: if it's good for business then leave it alone. That is what has happened and is continuing to happen in the short term letting business. But what do you care. You are not affected. Right?
    Cheers.

7. rambotrader

Have done that. Half wonderful, the other half almost ruined a long overseas holiday. Horses for courses and definitely hit and miss.

8. rambotrader

Airbnb self contained have worked for us. Rooms are definitely a pseudo hotel...where the wrong landlord will cause you stress. I think the fruits you meant to suggest are apples and lemons! My Big Fat Greek Wedding????

9. rambotrader

A realistic and well put together discussion. Many of the posters on this website have a position and choose not to discuss the pluses and minuses.

10. rambotrader

Probably not but the we are not alone. There is a reason the NSW state government shut down short term letting to the party industry and it had nothing to do with a one off problem.

11. rambotrader

Luck and/or good management. You miss the point that landlords who do not care are not interested other than if damage is caused which they have to fork out for.

12. rambotrader

Good post and so so true. The vested interests on this website may disagree however.

13. rambotrader

Regarding reviews: just out of interest sake I sort of agree but bare in mind some of the reviews are likely doctored or removed. The reviews for two place we stayed at recently (overseas) were great and this is why we booked them. When we got there it was a horrid place and nothing we did to try and be good guests changed that. We were clearly not wanted and felt that our stay was required to be a place to sleep rather than + bathing and + cooking as was offered. Could write a book on these joints. On the positive side we stayed in a couple of other rooms where the hosts went way above what we expected. The exception I might think.

14. rambotrader

Education. A real bugger...but the message needs to get out so that the problems are fixed. Oh yes....you don't have any problems? Thought so. Lucky ducky!

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I am surprised how many people on this forum will give up an organised and well regulated system for chaos in a very short time if it is of a monetary benefit to them (seems to be main driver)

I hope my relatives in both wars did not waste life and pain and suffering so we can throw away our democracy and rights just as easily.

We need an orderly system, whilst not all AirBNB would be a problem and many people are good people and responsible, it still should be regulated, as even good people may not be aware when they are stepping on others toes.

If you have lived in units or hosing that is very close together, you would likely know how the placement of one obnoxious tenant can have a big impact on many, AirBNB is the same & some places just do not suit.

The counter argument does not stack up, otherwise motels and bedsits and otherr could just do what they want where they want too.

I live in a house and neighbors 4 doors away used to let out to people for days at a time before AirBNB came, different groups all the time, cars parked everywhere, noise, trucks coming and going , now they are gone it is what I would call "normal" again and probably adds 50-100k to my value, as looks like a neat place to live again.

Why should any business be outside what others businesses must do.