A lot of talk about retirement recently...

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 20th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We know several guys our age from the motorcycle club who have retired (or been retrenched) and who go out together during the week . We cant wait to be able to join them, going to the beach for example when it is quiet and going to the Cheap Tuesday restaurants and movies. I am looking forward to all the cruises that are so much more affordable and quiet outside of school holiday periods. One of the downsides to working in a school is that we are only allowed to go on holidays during school holiday time. Who wants to go anywhere and be surrounded by more school kids?

We think it will take us about ten years of retirement to do everything we want to do.

legallyblonde and Zeehan like this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We were the complete opposite. Prior to selling our business (which we owned for 20 years) and retiring 5 years ago, we worked up to 60 hours per week. When we were going through the sale, people asked us what we were planning to do. We said nothing. They said you will get bored. We said we can't wait, bring it on.

Now, after 5 years in retirement, we have never been bored. In fact, we are amazed how we ever fit 60 hours of work into our lives every week.

I have just done a quick scan of our horizon - nope, can't see any boredom heading our way :) :).

Ted Varrick, truong, Lacrim and 11 others like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think once the last kid has finished school, we'll be the same ... I'm only concerned if he retires prior to then

kierank likes this.
  4. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

I retired a couple of years after my husband too. I must say, it was so nice to have the tea cooked and the washing done. Ahem. He even gave me a lesson in how to hang out washing properly! Isn't that generous?

bob shovel, bashworth, KMD and 2 others like this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I know I could write off at least 10-15 hours a week right away with extra sleep once retired.
    Just don't seem to get enough when working full time.
    Want to do more exercise/training too, so sleep is very important to recover well.

Don't think it would be difficult working out what to do with the other 30 hours, which is not that much time in a week.

kierank likes this.
  6. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    This reminds me of a couple I knew from Sydney, he retired and moved down to the coast as planned, she decided to stay in the city and keep working!

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

A woman at my workplace retired earlier this year and has just started back again as a temporary one month contract position became available. She said the thing that surprised her the most about retirement was that it can be a lot more expensive than you imagine. After all, you are at work for 40-50 hours per week so you don't need to occupy yourself with anything else during these hours.

I'd be happy to retire on about $800-1000/week net. My plan would be to travel indefinitely (returning home on occasion) and combining this with freelance writing.

Zeehan likes this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We are retired and our budget for living expenses is $1,500 pw or $7,000 pm. We don't live on caviar but we live very comfortably.

We have a separate budget for travel as it is a major component of our retirement.

Lacrim and Zeehan like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are just back from eight weeks overseas and now trying to pick up where we left off.

After being home with our kids until the youngest was about 14, I started working in casual retail aged 50. With less school and/or sport involvement I was a bit bored.

At the time I was starting my casual retail job, hubby retired, so it was a real role reversal for us (but my pay was crap compared to his).

I loved my retail job but my base hours (10 hours) usually increased to at least three days and a Thursday night. Busy times saw me working pretty much full time hours. I could have pulled back at any time, but didn't because I always knew the busy time would not last forever. Because I was working roughly three days a week for five years, I think I might start to miss it and if I do, I'll try to pick up a 10 hour job somewhere (Saturday and Thursday night retail would be great for me).

Looking after our (very few) houses keeps us busy. I do the "thinking and planning" and hubby does the maintenance that doesn't require tradies.

We are 56 and 57 and I do wonder if we will get bored. If we do, I guess we look at something to fill our time when that happens.

Before our trip, hubby renovated our patio and pool and that was a big push to get done before we flew out. He really needed a holiday by the time we took the holiday.

Now we have many decisions to make. We have two houses to lift to create a townhouse building envelope. We have to decide how much to renovate each house (if at all) when we move them.

We don't know if we will do the build or sell the block with the DA. But we have to move both houses before we decide that.

We have a lot to do but will take it one step at a time. It is too hard to work the numbers on each scenario (sell, build, sell and/or build) so we will work through what has to be done (moving the two houses) and then regroup.

That will keep us busy for a year or two (not every day of course) but having a project to exercise my mind will keep me busy (and probably frustrated as well).

Until the big landscaping job took over our lives for six months before we flew out, hubby would potter potter in our garage, making and mending bits and pieces, help neighbours out, go to his mother once a week to take her shopping and do jobs around her house.

We often go out for breakfast or lunch, wander the antique shops. I still have washing to do and a house to keep clean and with a 20 year old still living here (plus our oldest son and his partner for the past 2.5 years while they planned their renovation - they move into it early December), our house has been fairly full and busy.

I do worry that we will become bored and stale, but I guess being aware and watching out for that happening is half way to solving the problem if it arises.

Because we've had so much change, sold a house, gave up my job, paying for the DA process, I've no idea how much we live on. It is a moving feast. I'm quite looking forward to sitting down and working out whether we can afford to survive now things are a bit settled.

bashworth, Foxy Moron and Marg4000 like this.
  10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a report.

What was the highlight?

Angel and legallyblonde like this.
  11. Ed Barton

My parents retired a few years ago and report that living costs dropped. But yes entertainment costs increased slightly. Some of the drop in costs are due to their age, rather than just not working - reduced rates, rego etc.

You can do things off peak. eg folks go to the seniors movies - they get a cheap ticket and morning tea is included. Dining at lunch is usually cheaper than dinner. etc

Work-related costs, like clothes, travel and tools vanish.

You've got time to save money on grocery shopping. Rather than just hitting coles on the way home from work and grabbing anything in a rush, you can visit several shops to save money. You've got time to research the best deal on anything you're buying.

Most couples can easily make do with one car, rather than two that was necessary when working.

No need for takeaways because you're too tired to cook.

Zeehan and kierank like this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Trophy husband!

willair likes this.
  13. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Retirement was something I never thought about until last year when a colleague retired. My first thought was "Retiring - but he's not much older than me!". Then came the realisation I had been so busy making ends meet I had no plan for retirement.

We would like to look after Grandkids, finally get out fishing (weather always seems better on weekdays), and join our group of caravan park friends when they do their annual 3 month trek north.

Doubt that super will get us where we need to be, hence actively pursuing property investment rather than just browsing the for sale ads.

kierank and legallyblonde like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hubby is halfway thru reading "retirement ready" and decided he's not ready to retire ... wonder if it was the chapter about 'nurturing your changing relationship' that made him change his mind ;)

samiam, Barny, Angel and 5 others like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Gee... I don't like writing about "me" but I'll do up a thread with highlights.

16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

My parents have done it in the last 18months / Dad is 57 Mum is 55

Mum works out around 5 times a week - either hockey, tennis or the gym. Dad plays golf around 3-4 times a week
    Mum's president of masters hockey association. Dad's vice captain of golf club and on around 2-3 different boards in the community
    Mum gets into the garden and house a fair bit. Dad still does some consultancy work once a week for bit of play money
    They have travelled overseas once a year together - next year is Canada for 6 weeks
    They have travelled together and by themselves across Australia for around 4 months
    Have been mix of planned and spontaneous trips
    They struggle to see how they fitted work into their lives before
    Both really enjoying it

Sackie and kierank like this.
  17. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Working part-time for a longer period of time would be my preferred way to do it as well. I work in an industry that is nicely suited to part-time work. The one thing investments need is time to "curate". However, time is also a finite commodity. I plan to work full-time till the point where my investments have reached a critical mass that we are satisfied with and then cut back to about 20 hours a week and enjoy life in the slow lane.

I am fortunate to be paid a decent amount of money for for I do (with minimum aggravations) and will take a fair bit of time for me to replace my income. I already spend about 10% of the year overseas and will increase it as we start part-time work. Working part-time will keep the mind sharp, keep me social and pay terrific money while the investments are ticking away nicely in the background. Also, I don't want to leave all my travel to my retirement years. I will tick items off my bucket list when I am young and energetic, see the world when I still have a salary from working just 20 hours a week pay for it all.

One of the benefits of having a high savings rate during the asset accumulation phase means you can cut back on your working hours when you semi-retire and find that you still have the same amount of spending money as you had when you were working full-time and saving every available dollar.

18. Ed Barton

No pressure. You commented about it a few times before you left and I believe your first big OS trip, so thought you might like to share something.

19. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

It's been about 18 months since I stopped working in my j.o.b and 'retired'. We are both in our late 30's.

My job used to be very stressful. I would often come home, eat dinner with the family, then work until midnight. Would also travel a lot for work too. Now I do school drop offs and pick ups for the kids; play footy with them in the park; take them to after school sports and music; help them with homework.

I enjoy running as a hobby. In the last 12 months, I've trained for and ran 3 marathons. Next year I am planning to run one of the big US marathons - maybe New York or Boston.

I've explained it to others as - what would you do of you were "unconstrained" by not having to go to work everyday? I'm thinking of doing a PhD in something I find really interesting (as opposed to studying to increase earning capacity or trying to further my career). We are also thinking of travelling and living overseas for a few years, whilst the kids are still young and enable them to experience other cultures.

There are of course trade-offs in every strategy. I no longer want to live in the $4m trophy house and spend the next 20 years slaving to pay it off, like some of my friends and ex-colleagues. I also no longer yearn to drive the latest model Porsche or Lambo.

samiam, bob shovel, truong and 5 others like this.
  20. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this again earlier and realised that we could probably do it with less than the 1k/week net I was initially thinking we'd need if we spent most of our time outside of the country. Our ex-PPOR rents for $500/week now. If that was paid off, it could easily fund living costs in a country with lower cost of living together with some freelance work. I'd probably have some buffer in savings or a small additional investment for the SANF but it. An expat website says that Seville in Spain, for example, has half the cost of living of Canberra. Could spend a big chunk of the year abroad in similarly priced place - bit of a light bulb moment :p

Angel likes this.