A little short of obtaining finance (help)

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Speck1, 18th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Get in touch with this person.

2. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

Very interesting, I'd be keen to hear how it could be harmful? or if you can elaborate how the mortgage insurance structures work behind the scenes that would be appreciated? I could've been fed miss-information by my poor experience with the broker who told me that initially. For context, during my first home loan experience there was a lot of unnecessary back and forth with a particular lender so I advised the broker to look at other lenders. However in response to this he told me told it would be futile as the underwriters are typically the same from bank to bank, there were only 3 in Australia and they dictated the lending approval and he said that ANZ was the only big bank that underwrites it's own. Trying my luck with this, I then went to ANZ the next morning and had a pre approval that afternoon, they concurred his story about underwriting mortgage insurance. In hindsight, he could've been telling porkies to discourage me to change lender and stick with what he was proposing, who knows? but I've since had 3 loans through ANZ in 3 years.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

better still, the average banker and most brokers wont let you know either............

ta

rolf

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Harmful - multiple hits to credit file. Possible Suboptimal lender when paying LMI potentially which could bite in the long run. Possibly More expensive rates than necessary. Very conservative lending calc.

There’s just way more efficient ways to get an approval that actually suits your needs - it sounds like you didn’t have a particularly knowledgeable broker the first time round.

5. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Anz use QBE, they have underwriting or delegated authority. This means it doesn’t go to the insurer, as long as it meets agreed policy, which can be misconstrued (or miscommunicated by bank staff) as having their own insurance.

The_Billy likes this.
  6. Speck1

Speck1 Well-Known Member

CBA says im just about right now NAB trying hardest again...well keep you posted anyway.
    Appreciate all help.

WESTPAC said no wirthin 15mins.
    No i am not giving my details away only circumstances, nor am i signing anything.

7. jefn89

jefn89 Well-Known Member

I think my key take-away from this is that you still haven't listened to the great advice a lot of admittedly brokers have given you and that is to go to one. Anyone who can't see the value of a broker should definitely read this post especially given the tighter lending restrictions starting to come into play

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Does this issue (i.e. simple application for preapproval or discussion negatively affecting credit score) happen even when a potential borrower easily qualifies for a loan or is it only an issue when they don't qualify?

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yes. The moment they enter your details into their computer to qualify you for a loan or pre-approval, a credit check is run.

Today you might qualify for a loan with a particular lender. 4 or 5 enquiries later you may have damaged your credit file to the point where you no longer qualify with that same lender.

10. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

The result of the hit doesn't change the impact - so even if you were approved it will still provide the same score reduction in credit scoring systems. There are some major lenders for instance where their systems will automatically decline any applicaiton whatsoever, if a file has 10 recent applications (ie in the last 12 months). This might seem like a lot, but I've seen this become an issue when a borrower has:

• bought 3x properties, renovated and cashed out on each
    • refinanced 2 properties
    • changed credit/car loan
    Then suddenly is seen as a pariah by credit scoring systems.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Thanks Peter and Corey.

What is the underlying reason for this practice by banks - in relation to people who are actually good credit risks, I mean?

It seems bizarre.

12. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Statistics. It may seem bizarre, but the proportion of people who default after 10 credit hits is much higher (for instance) and statisticians decide its better to let that business go to another lender.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Try RAMs...they assess on actuals so you should be able to borrow more. But they are changing the living expenses to be in line with Westpac.

14. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Rams haven’t used actuals since 2014.

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I know a guy who's fairly decent looking and quite charming. Went out with him one night, he got a little drunk and in the pub proceeded to very publicly hit on every girl in the room. Everyone saw it and was fairly quick to reject him.

I've had people come to me wanting to get a mortgage. I look at their circumstances and tell them that there's a problem and give them the reasons. Then they go to the next broker and ask for a mortgage but they change the story a bit to avoid disclosing the problem. I've seen this pattern many times

Essentially if everyone in the room can see you approaching everyone else, they all start to think you're a bit desperate. If nobody else wants to deal with you, then perhaps there's a reason for it.

Jess Peletier, Brady and Ben John1 like this.
  16. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Not always a guarantee - I got caught out with this a few years ago. Got pre-approval, bought a place for less than the approved amount, then got knocked back when buying.

My broker tried, without success, to found out why. After weeks of investigation, we still never got an answer.

17. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Hi Tom, how do I know if it is a full assessment pre approval or not? Do I just confirm the letter with my broker? Thx

18. Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson Well-Known Member

Yes confirm with your broker

Ben John1 likes this.
  19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, your wrong.

At the same time, I have never worried about how many hits my file has had, but I think the lenders know the lending game & when you have a track record......., so it is not the same for everyone at all banks, far from it. Def different between them.

20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you explain that your simply not able to stop at one.....they may take pity, and benefit from the money you will make them :)