A Forumula for Dissatisfaction

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 4th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

For me I disagree with this statement.

Money buys me things that make me happy. It allows me to buy any motorbike/car that I want so I can go to places that 99% of the population will never experience. I'm there with friends who share the same passion as me. We look forward to each and every adventure.

Money gives me security and choice which makes me happy.

Money has allowed me to network with people that I would have had little chance to associate with had I not had some dollars behind me. Those opportunities now are priceless.

Each to their own but money allows me to create happiness in my world.

MTR likes this.
  2. PropStar

PropStar Active Member

As David Lee Roth said,

'Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a big Ol' yacht that you can park right beside it.'

datto likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Someone posted this on another thread

upload_2016-8-11_10-14-16.png

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  4. Nightowl

Nightowl Well-Known Member

Rather than spending money on material objects, spending them on experiences generally leads to greater satisfaction (or happiness). Experiences can be shared with family and friends, and lead to deeper connections. This ties in with what others have said about spending money to have time with family and friends. Even experiences enjoyed alone enrich your life. I never regret spending money to travel, for holidays or to visit my family and close friends. But I did use to waste money buying stuff (much less so now).

The Science Of Why You Should Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things

MTR, wombat777 and Perthguy like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think it's 'horses for courses'.

Experience junkies can be just as unhappy as material possession junkies ...

I think it's possible (and normal) to live a satisfying life while also being unhappy at times, negative at times and not content at times.

If you always feel content and satisfied, where is the challenge?Where is the growth?

Sackie likes this.
  6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I loathe shopping, and have aspire to be a Minimalist, but alas, it's so hard! Example: how many kitchen utensils we have, and how much time we spend and finding them.... But I'm working on it....

7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

But no money will make everyone very unhappy ;)

samiam and MTR like this.
  8. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Well I have it on good authority that being miserable with money beats being miserable without it!!

On a more serious note, my wife and I often remark that our happiest days were when we had no possessions other than our car and financed home and made do with tea chests for furniture and a blow up mattress for a bed...and an exciting future ahead.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

....and some will say you can never have enough money, met a few people who fit this category, continually chasing their tail

Luke T and Perthguy like this.
  10. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Most of us are creatures that like to compete and have more than other people. In circumstances where you have shelter, have food, have a family, why would you be dissatisfied otherwise?

11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Some people get the basics right then strive for more. If everyone was content with a roof over their head and other basic needs met society may well grind to a halt?

12. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying what drives us is to the desire to compete.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.....it can be this and many other reasons, one I can think of is to financially help/support your children to achieve their goals, a leg up

JM investor likes this.
  14. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

It is true in general that happiness is a choice.
    It is true in general that happiness is not a choice.

However, living beings are subjected to the forces of an internal world and an external world.

Many sources of internal happiness can be diminished and in finding a true and deep spirituality one can be happy if the external world in which that person is in, cannot affect them.

Many sources of unhappiness come from the external world. Its other people and their impact on a sentient being or difficult physical conditions or lack of sufficient material resources or nourishment or lack of ability to sleep in a dignified manner.

One can be a wealthy person and isolate yourself from all the external forces that make you unhappy, like lack of shelter, poor food, immoral strangers and bad bosses, unsafe work. And if you find a deep authentic spirituality and grew up amongst people who loved you will be happy and wealthy, in that case money buys happiness.

However if you are wealthy and you have isolated yourself from most external things and even found a deep authentic spirituality but have parents that are just toxic to the core, or you have been abused or neglected as a child, you will be injured inside and damaged and to a certain extent irreparable. Only a final journey to heaven can give that person rest and happiness unless that parent can heal and reconcile or the person is lucky enough to find such love that they can be healed.

Lack of love is the key here to everything. It heals.
    We are fools if we think that we can exploit another stranger and think that our lack of love towards them won't come back to us in some way or the other. The world doesn't work that way.

So if your property manager treats tenants and applicants like the garbage that they are in Australia, then this will come back to affect your happiness. And if the tenant treats the owner like garbage for no reason when the landlord has been very fair and kind then that tenant will have their happiness affected.

One cannot in this life escape the responsibility to be love and morality to all those around you and also to yourself.

This is called justice towards the universe.

life is a gift from God and nothing you or your ancestors did had anything to do with it. Therefore you in turn should recognise that one owes justice to the creator. That justice is to be a sentient authentically loving being.

4point5million likes this.
  15. JM investor

JM investor New Member

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you freedom and freedom is everything"

Sackie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

A Forumula for Dissatisfaction

Slog 50+ years for your enslaver (I mean employer) + Now old and tired and none the wealthier x Still struggling post retirement with no hope left = Dissatisfied unhappy Jan!

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2016
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Whoa! If your property manager treats tenants like garbage, get a new property manager. I will only deal with a property manger who treats my tenants and applicants respectfully. I will not tolerate property managers not treating tenants and applicants respectfully.

18. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Well that's a whole, whole lot harder then you think. It's easier to find a chicken with teeth.

i don't really feel like going into the property managers discussion, I could write a book about how much they actually cost owners and the tricks they play.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia