Education & Work A Dux, Bachelor and Masters Graduate

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by larrylarry, 11th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I am none the wiser for knowing which degrees she has completed and whether they're appropriate to the workforce. Was it international basket weaving or applied linguistics?

bob shovel likes this.
  3. larrylarry

5 years. Extraordinary.

4. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

Put simply, it enforces my belief that there are far too many BS degrees being offered that do not have a clear pathway to employment.

bob shovel and JacM like this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Everyone has masters degrees these days - I have 2. Its the new standard. Also it will depend on what the person studied and whether they are willing to work in other areas.

6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Wow - feeling very uneducated reading this post! Has the five year gap got anything to do with graduates expecting high paying jobs near the top of a ladder as a starting position?

larrylarry likes this.
  7. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

"It will take the average Australian up to five years to find full-time work after study".

What does this even mean? Does the average Australian take five years to find full time work, or does it the average Australian takes up to five years, meaning many found work in 5 minutes?

And what is full-time work? Does this only include permanent positions, or does it include 37.5 hour per week contract positions as well?

How many figures are skewed by people like one of the girls in the article who took time off, presumably by choice, to travel and do volunteer work OS?

Poorly written articles like this annoy me. I do believe it is tough out there for new grads, and I would not want to trade places with them. Articles like this focus on the wrong issues.

Perthguy and larrylarry like this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed lots of sensationalistic journalism there. It mentioned she had temp and part time work so I'm going to assume the temp was full time just not long term.

She could have been asking "would you like fries with that" in a full time mode a week after graduating but that may not have suited her career aspirations.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Choose a major you love and you'll never work a day in your life - because that field probably isn't hiring.

Bran, Simon Hampel, WattleIdo and 3 others like this.
  10. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Agreed. The modern day attitude of telling kids they should do what they want to do with no regard for outcomes is ludicrous.

Beelzebub, Northy85 and Terry_w like this.
  11. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

yea try getting a loan for properties with contract/temp work though. Heaps of my mates are FIFO and need a fairly large deposit for loans and then there is the stress of not getting another contract after.

12. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

100% just get a bloody job and start earning money.

WattleIdo and larrylarry like this.
  13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I have a degree in being a Master of Nothing

14. larrylarry

Better than me. I have no Masters.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Not commenting on the story... there could be a very valid reason other than fussiness for why it took her so long to get employed.

Its not necessarily easy to get a professional job straight out of uni, it can take time.

But people who go straight from undergrad to a high degree (along the lines of an MBA) without work experience are fools... Employers want people with real work experience and nobody would want to employ somebody with an MBA but with no prior professional work experience.

Of course, doing medicine or something similar as a post grad immediately after a Bachelors is fine (as its another route to becoming qualified). You have to question why someone would choose to do something like an MBA with no work experience though.

Even if the job market straight after doing the Bachelors is poor, its a bad idea to then decide to leap into an MBA (or something similar) without a few years of work experience under your belt.

Last edited: 11th Nov, 2015
    WattleIdo and Daniel007 like this.
  16. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on your expectations vs. reality. There is a great illustration here and I think it is relevant to other generations as well.

I think it also comes down to the fact that employers want a certain amount of experience for some jobs and hiring new graduates doesn't provide that, regardless of the amount of study they have. I know in many fields it is more beneficial to get a Masters degree after you have been working in the industry because if you do a lot of study at once it makes you look over qualified but under-experienced.

mrdobalina and Bargain Hunter like this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree 100%.

18. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

From my experiences with friends, the reasoning to stay in uni and do a masters is because they couldn't find a job after finishing their bachelor.

Instead of trying to gain work experience (some people are really picky and reject the idea of working for companies other than TNC's/market leaders), do some extra curricular's and improve their interview skills, they believe a masters will solve all their issues. A few years later they graduate with a masters, still with no work experience and overqualified for the graduate programs they intended on applying for.

Jkat and Bargain Hunter like this.
  19. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Yep 100%

20. larrylarry

Doesn't sound right... LOL.