A bit of top news

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Mombius Hibachi, 21st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Don't know how many of you know about this, but there was a fundraiser dealy to send 15 survivors and support staff to Rome to stare down Cardinal Scumbag, whoops I mean Cardinal Pell, in relation to sexual abuse by clergy in Ballarat. The original goal was to raise ~$55,000.

At the end of the fundraising deadline, ~$203,000 was raised. How marvelous is that! I may find some faith in humanity, yet. You can read more about it here:

Click here to support Send Ballarat Survivors To Rome by Meshel Laurie

From the link:

"It’s the fact that our support for the survivors has come as a wonderful surprise to so many of them. They’ve told me repeatedly in the last week that they didn’t think we in the wider community cared about them. They thought we didn’t want to know about what happened to them, but your donations changed that.

You’ve made them feel cared for and like what happened to them mattered to all of us. You’ve genuinely changed these people’s lives. Never forget that."

*wipes away tear* I seem to have gotten something in my eye...

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2016
    inertia, mrdobalina, Eric Wu and 7 others like this.
  2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I heard the song about George Pell today on radio. Can't recall who wrote it but it's bloody funny.

I met George Pell at primary school in 1993. He came into our classroom to talk about his role in the church. Never really liked him. Something about him just isn't right.

I dare say I'll be seeing him in hell!

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Tim Minchin

EN710 and Hodge like this.
  4. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Who also sings ones of the best Christmas songs ever. Makes me tear up.

WattleIdo and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Interesting that for someone who is too ill to fly first class he can still hold his position in the church.

He is two down from the Pope - an equivalent position would be secretary of state for the US.

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I saw him on the opera house steps last year, a very funny man.

Not sure i want to open this can of worms, but it would almost appear he isn't been entirely truthful about his condition or a great number of other things.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It must have been a highlight of your primary school edumucation.

Eric Wu likes this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I even had front row seats. I would have been 8 at the time and remember thinking something isn't right with him.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't want to defend him for the things that he did do. A lot was covered up by the church and he has admitted to his role in that, and he needs to be answerable to that.

But there does seem to be an air of a witch hunt. Allegations have come out from the police which are, until the matter appears in court, unable to be answered or defended apart from a denial. The timing is amazingly coincidental. But it appears guilty until proved innocent. Surely he should be allowed due process which is a right in our society.

10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Almost appear? You think?
    Let's not sit too firmly on the fence here.
    Of course he should and could appear. How about he has shown utter contempt for the victims of his church.

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2016
  11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I clicked on this link without knowing what it was. Yeah that whole can't travel thing is such a load of BS.

12. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Echoes of Christopher Skase...

13. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

The intonation of my comment didn't work in text. It is clear that a great number of people are been deliberately dishonest about what happened and what they knew.

HUGH72 likes this.
  14. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Of course, someone's medical records should be private to the public. But if Pell is chucking a 'sickie' then he needs more than 'suffering from a medical condition' in a private medical cert to the enquiry.

If he can't handle the pressurisation of air travel he could always get here by ship. IMO the money raised would be better spent getting him here than sending victims to the Vatican (where their ability to sit in on the proceeds is questionable anyway).

The plot thickens:
    It's all a bit moot as he doesn't need to cooperate. There is no extradition treaty between oz and the Vatican.

I must echo what Geoff said, the man deserves natural justice.

15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Just turn up to the enquiry, simple.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

What do they do with the remaining150k odd

17. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I saw that and actually donated. The least these people deserve is to watch him squirm under their beady little eyes while he gives evidence. He deserves to rot in hell for just shifting paedophiles from area to area and not doing anything about their activities. How many children's lives were ruined from his lack of action?

wylie likes this.
  18. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

A trust fund is being set up to ensure ongoing funding for counselling for victims and their families.

19. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Not been convicted as yet so at this stage it is all allegations

20. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Of course. In which case, having the Ballarat people there shouldn't worry him in the slightest :)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia