95% with lmi capitalised?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Bear777, 6th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bear777

Bear777 Member

Are there any banks that offer 5% deposit with the lmi capitalised?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

A couple if it's for owner occupier purposes. Rates are expensive in this niche though.

FHLDS is one way some people are getting around this if they meet the criteria.

3. Bear777

Bear777 Member

Is the cba or westpac one of them, if not could you let us know who? Its owner occupied and a first home loan. How much more expensive are the rates? Tired of renting at 500/week for ten years, so getting into the market by moving inland to a smaller town with less ridiculous house prices, likewise the lmi should be less than 5000. Found a place I'd like to make an offer on, but would need the lmi capitalised or would have to save longer which means renewing rental lease in sept for minimum 6 months, ( 26×500=$13000 down the drain) How does the deposit scheme get around the issue?
    Thanks for replying

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Neither the CBA nor Westpac capitalise the LMI above 95%.

Rather than try to figure this out yourself, why now one of the brokers on this forum? The FHLDS is oversubscribed with the major banks, but there are other lenders with it available and it avoids LMI altogether, with much cheaper rates.

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Below is the link to the FHLDS, eligability is outlined there so if you fit within that criteria as a FHB etc then it is definately a great way forward.

As Peter has outlined there are only a couple of options in the 95%+ cap space with rigorous assessment, rates typically 1-2% higher, etc.
    First Home Loan Deposit Scheme | NHFIC

6. Bear777

Bear777 Member

I checked the eligibility of the FHLDS, but only my wife is a citizen so we dont qualify, thats too bad. I just checked and looks like its 10 to 14 months to get citizenship.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Objectively, why ask a broker to donate their IP ?

Why not use that broker

ta
    rolf

Pingu1988, Lindsay_W and Terry_w like this.
  8. Bear777

Bear777 Member

Well Rolf, I'm not asking for anyone to give up their lively hood, just looking for friendly advice on this property chat forum, which I have been given, I have no control on who responds or what they say, be it a broker or someone else, I'm going to ask the same questions to those who were nice enough to reply and I appeciate their input, thats why I came onto this forum, to chat about property...if I have done something taboo on this forum, I guess I thought this was a place to freely exchange information on this internet forum when I posted, and didn't realise that this is more of an introductory sales forum, no offense Rolf, and sorry Peter if I unintentionally put you on the spot, however I understood your response perfectly, which was confirmed by Rolf's. Thank you for your time Peter and Richard.

9. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Hey mate

When borrowing 95% of the purchase, LMI is generally around 3% of the purchase price rather then $5k. Different banks different cost and could be higher then 3%.

10. Bear777

Bear777 Member

Thanks Tony, 170000 x 3%= 5100, I'll keep in mind it could be higher.

11. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Remember to add in the additional expenses of home ownership. Rates, insurance, strata fees (if applicable), water rates, maintenance etc

12. Bear777

Bear777 Member

Thanks sqe, I've checked my budget. A couple months ago when I went into the cba they said I could service a 6-700k loan, so should I be able to cover 170k loan and its expenses. Just dont have enough to cover the lmi upfront at the moment.

13. Rolf Latham

I hear what you are saying...........

Gonna be a long reply, but it needs to be said.

Its the specifity ( if thats a word :) of questions like

Is the cba or westpac one of them, if not could you let us know who?

Not Taboo, its free world

My specific concern around this type of Q isnt around the sales aspect at all, and I dont take offense to that perception at all.

Some things to consider

Where there is judgement, there is a possibility of error in our perception.

Not the first time a newbie broker or staffer researcher has come onto a public forum to seek information, because either their mentor team is inexperienced, OR they are plain lazy to do the research themselves ( im pretty sure thats not what is happening here)

DIY approach............Much higher chance of a decline. There are simple but not obvious things that will make a difference that a well experienced broker.will add value with. When you have very few lenders that play in this space, and the chance of toasting one's file, credit score is crucial. An experienced broker will also make sure that one has a suitable credit score before even looking to assess what is "optimum" or even possible before application.

Sometimes such questions also come from borrowers that want to support a new broker that is a friend, or family member - nothing wrong with that, but doesnt serve the borrower, please see above.​

The deeper context has the potential to be substantially worse..........

While its generally accepted that any " advice" on this forum is provided as NO advice, pls seek specific advice for personal circumstances, our team has had hundreds "rescue jobbies" from poorly implemented pseudo credit advice.

This has usually arisen from

• Assumptions
    • DYI
    • Inexperienced Bankers and.or brokers
    • Competing commitments around cost vs function
    • Implementing what feels right over what is actually needed to achieve stated goals, derived from a robust guided discovery process.
    • More than one source of credit advice ( which is why our team does all a client's work or none of it)
    • Rubber Band Syndrome, usually arising from years of "over research" and subsequent inaction, where all of a sudden the pressure of procrastination needs to be released and we do stoopid things and usually way to quickly.
    • Over optimisation
    • Fiddlers.... the broker or banker has allowed the borrower to mess with the appropriate structures. A good banker or broker holds a client accountable, and is not a doormat, but a doorway. This is especially common with low volume brokers who are too afraid to challenge the fiddling because their income is at risk.

The opportunity costs, aside from the immediate remediation $ investment, is totally unquantifiable, and in many scenarios is in the many 100 000 dollars, and sometime into 7 figures.

Sometimes the remediation costs can be 10 to 50 k

Loans aint loans

ta
    rolf

wilso8948 likes this.
  14. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

what is the sweet spot with deposits and lmi capitalised now?

15. Rolf Latham

88 + lmi most times

ta
    rolf

16. Bear777

Bear777 Member

Rolf, the specificity was because I already had an appt booked this week with the cba and westpac to enquire, but I was unsure about the lmi capitalisation. Peter said there was a couple, so I was able to spend a couple hours today phoning about 30 different lenders off of the canstar website and found half a dozen. Thank you Rolf for adding views, it was helpful.

Suncorp,racq,g&c mutual,ing,bankaustralia were a few I found, anything I should be aware of with these particular lenders anyone want to share.

17. Rolf Latham

Suncorp, ING, Bank Australia. RACQ , max 95 Inc lmi ....not sure about BA, but I doubt it

ta
    rolf

Morgs likes this.