$900 000 windfall - enough to retire now?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Butterfly88, 19th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

If a fully franked annual dividend is 5% of the share price, then the gross yield is actually 7%. You divide the ff yield by (100%-30%) to get the before-company-tax yield.

You use the gross amount to add to your annual taxable income, then work out what your net income will be after you submit your tax return.

Re: your earlier post, if your marginal rate was 30% then there's no further tax payable on the dividend, and there won't be a refund from the imputation/franking credits.

Basically there is no real benefit to franking credits until you retire, or if you're accumulating shares in your super fund.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But it has if you take the returns from 1979. Even anything near that would be great :)

3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    :):):) Too much cool-aid being swallowed, probably gonna end in tears at some point :):):)

ellejay, Starbright, MTR and 2 others like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Within our super fund, we are half/half Aggressive and Diversified Growth. Using this table, it would seem that we are possibly better sticking with what we know, possibly tweaking things if we want more protection from the fluctuations, rather than me trying to learn something completely new, that might not return more than our super is returning. Until now, we've never worried about our super, knowing it will rise and fall. We can handle the fluctuations as long as we are fairly confident it is heading upwards. Super rates 5 years.png

If there is a market crash like we have weathered before, we have time to ride it out, as long as it ends up recovering in the long run.

I'm not asking here for financial advice. We will see our super fund financial adviser (again) and our accountant. We are selling a property that will give us $370k to either reduce our loans with, or invest elsewhere.

I'm more interested in hearing opinions as to what others would do with the proceeds. Initially it will go into an offset against our loans which are over $1m. But we are saving (about) 5% (absolute certainty of what we save by doing that) on them and can make more by placing it into super. As long as our fund makes more than 5% we are saving more than by sitting in offset, but the risk is a sharemarket crash.

We could park it in a safer option within super but that also is lower paying than what we would save by sitting in offset.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

So you are saying the $900 000 is not enough to set us up to retire? We already track all our expenses and know we can live very comfortably on $60 000 per annum which is our goal..

Last edited: 21st May, 2017
    Gypsyblood and ellejay like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Also want to add that I hope I'm not jumping into a thread and hijacking it, but with similar goals and issues, I'm hopeful my own questions could also help @Butterfly88.

Butterfly88 likes this.
  7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

What has? What PT tells you his portfolio has done?

Start the chart in 1970 and long run market return has been c.10%

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pulling $60k/yr (ignoring inflation or returns) will give you 15 years at the same income level. You may need to consider what to do after that 15 years if there is no other capital to draw upon. If you are getting capital growth and income from your investment, it will last longer.

Perthguy and Butterfly88 like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

or is it looking at markets with rose coloured glasses. Have any of these share investors actually been investing during a crash market?
    Even looking at share projections over 30 years, sucks, anything will look OK after 30 years, seriously even mining towns will come back and probably double again?

ellejay and Terry_w like this.
  10. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

One of my girlfriends did! She used to be an ex banker and is wholly into shares...not LIC or indexing tho...just individual shares...i think her portfolio was down more than a mil during GFC..i thot she will sweat but no...she did not seem to sweat at all..tho she did lament she did not get into property (she does own a very exxcy house in Wahroonga)...

I used to salivate at her dividends tho'...she retired on that..
    One thing she did mention is Never dabble in margin loans....

Oh dear...as i am typing this even i'm not sure what is the lesson i am trying to preach to myself:cool:............

Redwing and willair like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's good.

Comes down to whether you can service the debt during the downturn, and those nasty margin calls?

I guess you also need nerves of steel to ride it out.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Incl. Dividends?

virgo likes this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We set up our SMSF 25 years ago on 1 June 1992 and over that time our SMSF has mainly invested in shares (and cash).

Been through a few up and downs over that time. So far, never sold a share in panic.

Probably been too frozen with fear to hit the sell button :).

Gypsyblood, Perthguy, ellejay and 3 others like this.
  14. The Falcon

Total return. Jan 1970 - May 2017 current ; 9.9% TSR.

Please stop rabbiting on about stuff you have no idea about, aside from attending a course and drinking all the koolaid.

Mws, Excalibur1, Foxdan and 4 others like this.
  15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A little bit of knowledge can be very dangerous

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Any idiot can look intelligent ,until it all becomes very complicated..

MTR likes this.
  17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There is a reason why people have to be licenced to give financial advice which includes advice on shares. Some comments by those unlicenced can lead people astray. So can actual advice but at those licenced are covered by insurance.

18. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Dunno about you...but i'll be happy with 9.9%:D...tks!

19. The Falcon

Very.

But not if my expectations were 14% ;)

kierank likes this.
  20. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Pray can you then share with the rest of us "uneducated" class, what is your own investment strategy to capture 14%?

Say you have $900,000 to invest as alluded to by the original poster? How do you propose to allocate this for a retirement income? (lets assume he has his PPOR paid off...)

(i say it seriously not to jest or be flippant) ..i seriously want to hear from someone who sounds like he has a plan...