90 yr old to make $20mil thru shrewd investing

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Lizzie, 24th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... ah ha - so it is - hiding just like long long long lost uncle ...

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thatsa great story but you cant take it with you!!!!!

5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

This man bought all the DMR affected houses on Robey St. for very little, good on him!

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of posting this on Facebook and got a tirade of 'broken system' etc etc. Talking about investing on Facebook is a mistake. I don't get the resistance to embracing how things are, the best possible predictions, and having a crack.

7. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Good on him. Now who on PC is going to snap up that bargain?

8. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

I would hazard at a guess that these blocks are not his only property investments :cool:

Would love to hear the story of this very shrewd business man. To have the availability and foresight to be able to "snap up" all the DMR affected houses, he must have had some dollars (pounds) behind him. Remember in those days banks demanded a 30% deposit for all loans.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "DMR affected"...?

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Challenge here is that part if our growth comes from those we associate with.

"Lucky" for most of us that the majority of our face book friends are just associates .............

ta
    rolf

Bran likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I have some investing friends on facebook...
    but I would not post something about property investing to the general community except my Airbnb successes (and the very occasional related whinge... e.g. my last guests at West Ryde consumed all the food, pretty much cleared out my pantry, took a FULL bottle of shampoo.... but worst of all.... took all the toilet paper. Like 10 rolls! I had to go and buy more. I was not impressed about that).

(Note... I ended up requesting an extra $15 for that usage... that guest was a first time Airbnb user... he booked for his new inlaws and sister... I believe they are Chinese*.... anyway... the guest paid it. I wrote that I wouldn't mention it in my review but for him to please be mindful of the host in future! :) )

Anyway... back to normal property investing... if I posted something on FB, my mother would comment, "Lynn, you have enough" rah rah rah.....
    and start a big Facebook fight/argument with me.... why the hell would you do that to your daughter?
    (Which is why I dont have my parents as facebook friends.... bloody comments!!)

*i'm Chinese too....

Last edited: 25th Nov, 2015
  12. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Department of Main Roads.. So I am guessing these homes were resumed for a hwy that never happened then sold back to the general market, whereby he "snapped them up".

Anybody in the area like to comment if this may have been the case?

hobo likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby's first house was in a street where all houses had been resumed to allow a bridge to be built. That was scrapped and houses sold back to the market. I recall at the time thinking how annoyed I would be to have my house compulsorily taken from me, move my family and all for nothing... to have someone else buy it a few years later.

Bran likes this.
  14. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Happened to our family back in 1976. Brissy people may remember the compulsory resumptions that saw the demise of Cribb Island to build the new airport.

Part of that grand plan was also a resumption of houses along Breakfast Creek road through Newstead to widen the road.

My parents had a shop and we lived in the house behind ( next to the Newstead Police Station) Sadly, the house and shop were leased, so Mum and Dad lost it all....no house, no business and no cash for the property and two primary school aged kids.. I am sure it was an extremely stressful time.

Our shop and house has gone now, but the house the copshop was in is still there looking exactly as it was. (See attached pic) Oh!! and road has not been widened.

We moved to the suburbs and Mum and Dad got regular jobs.

Attached Files:

15. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

No, they were houses that the DMR Marked , 'Wanted for their purposes' (road widening).
    They weren't bought by the DMR, They were bought by the investor. They lost their value, and buying them was a gamble. In this case a clever one!

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I
    It would then depend on whether the RWO and caveat have been removed.

I did one of these recently - needed concurrence from RMS & council.

SeafordSunshine likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.