NSW 850K property in Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sl138, 12th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sl138

sl138 Member

G'day all, my partner and I would like to spend $850k on a property in Syd. We've had a look around and the apartment lifestyle doesn't really suit us.. so to fit within our budget, we're looking at townhouses. Not really keen on going out too far west as we have no friends or family there and both work in the city. Any suggestions?

2. pfbs

pfbs Well-Known Member

Yes we just bought one in this budget. We wanted to stick to the inner west but they usually run in the ~$1.3m range so we took a step down and looked in the inner south-west instead and found one (Campsie / Canterbury area). It's not as nice as the inner west but it allowed us to save nearly half a million dollars, and we figure with the Metro line coming in only 3 years it's going to attract a lot of investment and gentrification. Also the idea of having a "bullet" train to the CBD / Chatswood was pretty compelling. There will be a train every 4 mins during peak hours, which was a big selling point for me.

This is where I originally started looking: 824 Townhouses Sold & Auction Results in Burwood, NSW, 2134 | Domain

This is what you can get in the south-west (about 5km's south of Burwood / Ashfield): 531 Townhouses Sold & Auction Results in Campsie, NSW, 2194 | Domain

You're looking at roughly ~$1.3m vs ~$800k.

I still think it's worth paying ~$1.3m for a better suburb, but if your budget doesn't allow for it then what can you do.

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2021
    Danyool likes this.
  3. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

850k is going to be a hard stretch in Sydney especially if you want to stay inner Sydney and want a free standing house.

If I was in the market at this price range I would go look around Parramatta and north towards the Hills Area. You might get lucky and find a rundown house that needs some TLC sub $1M. (i.e) Northmead is a nice area. Buying in Winston Hills/Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill is probably out of range.

4. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

You can buy a house/ duplex/ townhouse in this budget in suburbs like:

Northmead, Girraween, Greystanes, Pemulwuy, North Parramatta, North Rocks in west.
    Revesby, hurstville and vicinity for all sort of products in South.

Villa in Epping, though a bit old.

Cheers

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Can't comment on the south (as we don't cover) but I'd be heading for the north west and considering suburbs such as Baulkham Hills or Kellyville- also consider those suburbs nearer the new metro line but on the other side of Old Windsor Rd like Stanhope Gardens etc. Best of luck with your search :)

6. sl138

sl138 Member

Thanks all, we'll definitely consider all the suggestions. Northwest sounds really good to us. Any thoughts on places such as Ermington? Iffy on public transport but surrounded by some really good suburbs - hoping the price will have increased as we look for our second place

7. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

For price increase, you need to see demand, supply and affordability. The first rwo being positive for majority of suburbs across NSW. :)

If you want to mix and match, that might lead you to spend north of a mil.:D

Cheers

8. pfbs

pfbs Well-Known Member

Yeah for that budget you need to give up something, you can't have it all.

Proximity to amenities...desirability of area...proximity to CBD...price.

One of those 4 has got to give.

9. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

How far is too far west?

10. pfbs

pfbs Well-Known Member

10 years ago "not too far" meant Strathfield.

These days it means Parramatta.

I'm also curious what OP considers "too far". To me the Hills district is already way too far out for me.

ashish1137 likes this.
  11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Do you want to be by the water? I also find North West to be hot in summer and cold in winter.

I prefer more coastal suburbs.

Where do you work?

12. thunderstrike888

Parramatta? What do you mean? Parramatta IS the new CBD. The NSW government is proactively making it that way and the council are now moving away from a central CBD approach to more distributed business parks and hubs spread across Sydney.

This is how Sydney should have been planned out more than 10 years ago. Its about time the government woke up to this and thanks to Covid thats the case. This is why there is a huge boom in the greater western sydney suburbs. There is ZERO sense in making everyone travel to the city for work. I've been saying this for the last 15 years. It took Covid for the damn town planners to wake up.

When ppl in Sydney talk about "out west" its all the way to Penrith these days.

13. pfbs

pfbs Well-Known Member

Not for me it's not. I want to be equally close to the CBD as well as Parra. Parra would put me way too far from the CBD for my liking.

14. thunderstrike888

Fair enough. What's in the CBD that's not available to you in Parra or in Blacktown/Penrith? I've grown up around Parra and been here for the last 20+ years and especially now Parra is awesome. Got anything and everything you need.

15. pfbs

pfbs Well-Known Member

Nothing really, I'm not an overly social person so I don't really take advantage of it much. It's mainly work - there's no way in the next 20 years of my working life I won't not find myself in the CBD (I'd actually prefer to be in Parra if I could). But realistically it's just not going to happen. So for me the optimal spot is smack bang between the two in the inner west / south.

16. thunderstrike888

Honestly if its mainly for work - I would be asking to move to a more remote working environment for your company and then buying a beautiful house in the Hills area.

Most companies now are supporting remote working and the company I currently work for is one of the largest technology companies in Australia/SE Asia. We have started to not renew our office leases and reduce the amount of staff in the CBD offices by more than 50% encouraging ppl to work from Norwest Business Park, Parramatta offices, Liverpool offices and even the new Marsden park location we have.

This is the future my man. No one likes or want to travel on the train to the CBD every day. No point and its wasting time and work efficiency for my team and every other team in the company.

17. pfbs

pfbs Well-Known Member

Even then I'll routinely find myself up north, at the beach / east...all over the place. It not for work then friends, or shopping, or whatever. I still love being central and being able to drive to pretty much any part of Sydney within 30-45 mins. I think that's still a huge drawcard for me. I think that's the appeal the inner west will always have.

18. sl138

sl138 Member

For me, too far west would be west of Parramatta. Understandably the size and quality of the property wouldn't be as good as what we could buy west of Parramatta, but location is definitely more important for us. Our family/friends are based mainly around Epping, Strathfield, Lidcombe, with trips to the beach and outside of Sydney on a lot of the weekends.

For work, I commute to St Leonards with no possibility of working from home, whereas my partner works in the CBD but can work from home.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ermo/Rydalmere has access to the city cat along the Parramatta River (better access is from the area between the river & Victoria Rd.

There's also the M52 express bus along Victoria Rd.

Access n/s is via Silverwater Rid.

Nothing difficult about public transport to/from the area.

Jacque and sl138 like this.
  20. PropNuB

PropNuB Well-Known Member

And you call yourself a buyer's agent?!

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.