QLD $800K House Sunshine Coast

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by izzy16, 2nd May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Born and raised in Sydney 29 years, but now looking for a sea/tree change. We've decided to move to the Sunshine Coast, as I have a lot of family in Yaroomba/Caloundra and I work full-time from home. I'll ask their advice but also keen to find the opinions of others as I know theirs will be biased.

We have the funds for a 20% deposit + stamp for $800K property. Currently renting but our lease expires April 2019.

Looking for a 3 bedroom house. Would like it to be no more than 15 mins from the coast, airport, and good primary schools as I have a 2 year old son.

For those who know the Sunny Coast well, where would you buy on this budget?

Thanks!

MJS1034 likes this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Calling Jamie :)

ta
    rolf

3. Sunnyone

Sunnyone New Member

Personally with that budget would buy 4556 postcode, as primary schools go, buderim is hard to beat. I would actually buy in a estate called headland park. It is as close as buderim gets to the new city being built. Everyone that lives there is kinda old though and is tightly held. 5 mins to beach.

That budget still offers a lot of choice on the coast, but just driving around seems like more and more people are here. Prices are going up accordingly.

Don't think you can go wrong, although i would be cautious with the new estates as the roads are so narrow it's driving people insane. You will more be more likely to find people there your age though.

Lived here 38years and a lot of different suburbs.
    Good luck.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If it were me (and it isn't, it's you), I'd rent for 6-12 months first to sell if I could handle the culture shock and make sure I did not want to go back to the big smoke after being there a while.

5. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

From my research, I do see a lot of people raving about Buderim. It's almost the 'go-to' suggestion that I've seen appearing a lot. Any thoughts as to why?

I personally like the look of Coolum Beach. Close to everything, prices seem very reasonable for what you get. Will continue digging around, thanks for your help.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Buderim is popular because it is centrally located, has good schools and quick access to the commercial centre in Maroochydore and great beaches. It is basically hills and plateau, great views but more expensive particularly for ocean views, and green leafy valleys, much quieter and less expensive.
    Marg

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I'm a Noosa fan, but it is much slower than Maroochy - Mooloolaba areas

8. Sunnyone

Sunnyone New Member

Sorry I should have stressed it was a personal preference. Yes Coolum ticks all your requirements, be aware I would consider it very quiet for someone moving from Sydney. Still a great spot though. Noosa is beautiful ( no news there), but you would be more 15mins from airport. As a young couple with a healthy budget "I" would propably buy a unit in Cotton tree.

But as you have a young child and want a house, Buderim is quiet for families but still close for entertainment.

Hope it helps

9. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

From a schools perspective buderim.a good choice. But from a all round lifestyle I would go Coolum

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

+1. I'd rent for at least a year, if not more. Things change eg you'll start focusing on other important issues, like schools when your son's 5-6 years old, and may decide to come back to Sydney or Brisbane etc.

Propertunity likes this.
  11. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Do it! Sunny coast is heaven :)

I'm biased but I like the stretch from Noosa to Coolum - some of the hinterland towns are nice too (Eumundi, Doonan, etc).

$800k provides a broad scope. Noosa is expensive - but the prices start dropping the further south you go. For $800k you'd get something decent in Peregian or Coolum.

I'd look to rent first. Spend some time looking around/making friends/settling in - then you'll have a better idea of where to settle down.

Hobbies/interest come into play too. I love Noosa because of the proximity to my favorite surf spots and mountain bike trails - there's also plenty of good schools and it doesn't feel too small/isolated. I also like to walk down to the river and grab a coffee and take the kids to the park. Downside is that it's busy during peak holiday periods but you get used to it.

If you can work from home....it might as well be in paradise :)

Cheers

Jamie

MJS1034, SuzyG and RPI like this.
  12. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

Hi

Just thought I'd add a bit as we moved up 2 years ago from Melbourne. We chose Buderim, and very happy we did, because it has all the best schools on the coast (take your pick of the privates or the public is really good too) and has great access to the coast (under 10mins to Alex for an early morning surf) and also Brisbane if need be. I've been checking out a lot of places lately for reno ideas so have a decent idea of prices in the area. 800K will get you a lot up here. What you'll find is the lowset houses will cost a lot more than the bigger 2 storey houses as the older people with lots of cash don't want stairs and will pay a premium for that. It also surprises me that there is a very large gap between prices on places which need some TLC and those that have had a reno done. So for my mind if it is a PPOR I'd target a 2 storey that needs a refresh (which we did, and very happy!). It's a great vibe up here and you don't get the tourist/bogan element you get living by the beach. We don't even notice when schoolies or holidays are on.

Personally though - the rent for awhile idea is a great one to make sure you like it. I miss the energy of Melbourne, but it is a much better place to bring a family up on the coast. To get into a private school on par with the elite schools of the cities is only 10K a year, try getting that in Melbourne without spending 5 million on a house is Balwyn....

I do travel to cities a bit for work (don't bother with SC airport, use Conxion to Brisbane) so get my fix that way - and the money you save on mortgage up here you could factor in regular getaways. Whenever I really miss it I just go to Richmond at night time and remember why I didn't want to bring a kid up there.

Happy to help with specific questions if you have any.