$800 to paint a bedroom room sound right?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Coastal, 27th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Looking to paint a bedroom .. doors area, ceiling, walls and window trims.

I have been quoted $800 incl paint in brisbane.

Parts of room need under coat/sealer and two top coats

2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

You are getting ripped off... They might have to come back and forth.. But that is only a couple of hours work..

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I am guessing that they don't want the job... I know someone who paid a painter over 5k to paint four small office rooms... Just comes down to what you are willing to pay. But I would be seeking multiple quotes. It is probably expensive because it is such a small jobs

4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

It's at the upper end of the range but considering it's everything (trims, doors, ceiling, sealer etc.) the supply costs add up quickly as you need sealer/primer, wall paint, ceiling paint, trim paint & other consumables / equipment.

wylie likes this.
  5. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem extreme

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Get a second and third quote. I got a whole townhouse in Sydney done for $1,600, paint was extra.
    Then again as someone else said its just a small job and maybe painters just don't really want the job too much.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think the last time I attempted, it took me 5 hours all told to do a bedroom (2 coats, trim, etc) + material (paint, roller, cutting brush, etc etc).

I reckon I'll pay $800.... (you might find it gets cheaper the more rooms you get done as a lot of time is in prep/setup/cleanup)

The Y-man

Gforce likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

seems expensive but not ridiculous,

I think standard 3 bdrs can be done from $3k - $4k done on the cheap

9. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

$4k to paint my 2 bed unit with dulux 156m2

Dean Collins likes this.
  10. Coastal

There was a bit of water damage so half the room had to be re-sheeted plastered all that. That needs to be sealed/primed and 2 coats top coated. The quote is for that bit, remainder of the walls top coasted, window and door trims to be painted. The ceiling will also be painted.

The ceiling below the room - Downstairs was also damaged and that was part re-sheeted and plastered so that area also will be done. We have new window and door trims as well, so they just need be sanded 2 top coats need to be applied.

Labour is $40 per hour cash and painter states say 2 days labour around $600 plus $200 for pain materials. I am assuming there will be a bit of prep work and he will be doing it for couple of hours each day say 4 or so hours.

Another guy from service seeking has said $400 - $550 for labour, 1 day job and I supply the paint. On service seeking he has put down $900. Another has said $45 per hour and another $55 per hour.

If I am to paint it my self, considering I have never painted, I would take me a couple of days to do and say paint, brushes and other materials costing $200 - $250?

To the experienced painters out there realistically how long would it take to paint such a job? 6 hours including prep, sealer priming repaired areas, top coat repaired areas and final top cost. Total area of job is about 30 sq.

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

As an amatuer painter, I'd say it's spot on. If the painter really does do prep, primer and two coats and uses a decent paint and does ceilings (!) I think it's pretty good, actually.
    Incidentally, it would take me two days, a lot of determination and a few major head spins to do the ceiling alone.
    Edit: this thread motivated me to get started on a small room today. Got the ceiling done in a morning. Only one coat though and a very small room.

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2016
    Marg4000 and gman65 like this.
  12. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. It's only a small job. Minimum 2 days though. After prep and sealing you have to leave it and come back to it. If the sealant hasn't cured/dried properly before you start painting, then you'll end up with a poor result.

gman65 likes this.
  13. Meisterin

Meisterin Well-Known Member

I would say it's not overly expensive.

Painters usually charge per day and have minimum daily rates.

Paint: ceiling $50, sealer $50, wall paint: $80 trim paint: $70= $250 for the cost of paint alone.

If he says it will take two days I think it's on the cheap-side as that will be less than $40/hour.

14. AndrewB

AndrewB Member

We did 1 room, 4x5m but with wall heights that required ladders and trestles and we had all of it done in maybe 14 man hours. That includes the time to fix the walls, 2 windows 1 door frame, the cornices and skirtings. However we did not have to do the roof and we are probably not the fastest pair of painters in the world.

We aren't super experienced painters but we have done most of the rest of our large house before this built in room needed to be done.

Total cost (completely guesstimating) for all the materials and paint to do 1 room is probably about the $350 mark - but remember you then have all the gear to do whatever other painting you need to do in the future.

If you decide to do it don't tape up except taping the dropsheets to the carpet and tape on the windows to stop paint going on them. For all the other edging you just need a steady hand and remember to use lots of paint, don't get too much off the brush before you start.

15. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

with windows my friend doesn't use tape he just lets the paint dry on the windows then scrapes it off. i saw him do it came of easy. is that for all paints?

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I do that too. I certainly have every type of paint on my windows.

Elives likes this.
  17. AndrewB

AndrewB Member

I'll have to try it next time.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I can do two coats on my bedroom walls in one day (including cleaning the walls first) plus a second day to do the ceiling and the window/door trims as I wouldn't do them as often as the walls.

19. Coastal

I paid $700 cash to the painter which i thought was ok in the end. This included the paint. It took 12 hours or so to do and I sweet talked the painter to patch up a few other things. Happy with the price.

It can cost $3 to 4 k to paint a 3 bedroom house, so happy with the price.

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

2 days is about how much it has taken me to do it with care.. so seems about right.

Have to be careful, can scratch the glass pretty easily, even with plastic scrapers. Ask me how I know :oops:

Beano and WattleIdo like this.