80% LVR lend v LMI lend for first IP

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Phil_22, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think Terry is suggesting that if you structure your loans incorrectly, you might be missing out of about $10k/year in tax refunds or deductions. This isn't really about how much stamp duty/LMI/deposit you put down, instead it's about how you structure your lending to access funds for those purposes.

2. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

thanks for the reply peter,
    In the example I have assumed an IO IP loan, and tried to calculate the tax advantage(or not) of an 95lvr loan over a 80 lvr loan.

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2015
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you structure your lending correctly, the LVR doesn't make any difference to how much you receiving in tax deductions. The real difference between an 80% loan and a 95% loan, is the LMI you pay.

Properly structured, many people can achieve tax deductions on the full purchase price of the property as well as the purchase costs. Effectively 105% of the property value.

This assumes you've got equity in another property, if it's your first property, then presumably you're using cash for the deposits and there wouldn't be any tax deductions on the cash you put in.

Also keep in mind that in the current environment, borrowing 95% against an IP is incredibly difficult. There are lenders who say they'll do it, but practically speaking investors need to assume that 90% is the most they'll be able to borrow against and investment property. People may want to prepare themselves for 80% lending becoming the norm in the near future.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Looks like I made a mistake with the maths - pretty big one. $100k x 5% = $5k. So $5k per year in lost deductions.

Same principles apply, but the effect is not as great.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

But we were talking about 20% deposit I think so that is where I got the $10k from I think