8/8 coming up on an auction day? Is this a legit thing?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by stackhat14, 4th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. stackhat14

stackhat14 New Member

We will be selling our PPOR soon to pay for most of our new build. We heard that the 8th of August is going to be a dynamite weekend for the Chinese or O/S investors. Is this actually worth listening to and quickly putting the place on the market in time?
    It's a full flat block in Croydon, subdividable with no trees in the way in a great court location, so we hope it will get a good enough price any weekend... Any insight?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Lots of Chinese like lucky number 8.
    Personally I've won on bidder card number 8 and also lost on number 8. Same with number 13. So for me there's no lucky numbers- just my lucky green socks, which I could not find last auction I attended - and yet still won. Go figure!

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I bought my current PPOR which is Number 4. No one made enquiries. I offered and offer accepted before open inspection/auction. Did some reno and revalued. Stunned. Now, looking for IPs. I'm Asian. If I was only looking to buy any home with a number 8, I won't stand a chance if there's a Chinese on auction day. You may be right that Chinese buyers may feel lucky to buy on 8/8 but I think they look for auspicious number attached to the property. And you would know by now, Chinese and Asians at large like number 8 on their car plates with their initials. Sigh.

Sea Eagles88 and stackhat14 like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've got a number 8 house as the ppor but its on the low side of the street... how much of a negative is that compared to having #8?

5. larrylarry

My observation is that the #8 is one of the things that superstitious Chinese look for. They like things that look new and shiny. They are not into gardens so manicured and low maintenance garden will please. As long as your street is not prone to flood, it will be fine. They also rate convenience to shops very highly, especially chinese grocery shops. That's why Eastwood, Carlingford and Epping are going crazy.

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

i think being on low/undesirable side of a street has a higher bearing than the number 8. Certainly for non believers, and I suspect for a lotta chinese as well. The aspect and orientation, and positioning is important to feng shui.

7. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

A recent auction had climbed to $884k phone bidder was final offer and asked that it be $888k. Auctioneer happily agreed

8. larrylarry

Not surprised at all! My phone number has many 8 and 9 because of chinese clients. Ha!

Chrispy likes this.