NSW $750k where to buy PPOR (easy city access)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by steff85aus, 25th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. steff85aus

steff85aus Member

Hi Guys,

We are new here so looking for some inputs. We are a couple in late 30s (no kid yet) looking for a PPOR which offers easy/faster access to CBD (partner's work location Town hall and mine is Cheltenham). We don't want to live too far for house so happy with some 2bedder apartments or townhouse due to budget constraint.

What are suburbs options for us? Meadowbank? Homebush?Wentworthville?
    And what are pros and cons for your recommendations in our case?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Epping. To keep your transport options open. And this is not just because I live here, it makes geographical sense transport wise.

By the way, I was going to say Macquarie Park or North Ryde but eventually there wont be straight through trains to Cheltenham once they start the NWRL service.

But from Epping there's trains to Hornsby, Strathfield, city and there will be rail to Castle Hill etc in a few years.

Alternatively you can try Beecroft and Cheltenham itself, but these suburbs offer less flexibility in transport options.

Otherwise, if the Cheltenham job is one that you are not going to work long term, then I would consider more city centre focused options. My honest 2 cents. ;)

Ps. My partner and I live in Epping, I currently work in Parramatta, my partner at Macquarie, which is just the next suburb. Epping suits us fine. However if I was to work in the city or North Sydney or Chatswood, they are all very easy to get to from Epping, and I have no need to move. (Assuming the NWRL installation isn't stuffing up the train system to Chatswood!)

Last edited: 25th Nov, 2016
  3. steff85aus

steff85aus Member

Thanks for inputs. Please correct me but i'm guessing with my budget we cannot get the 2bedder relatively new apartment in Epping or even Macquarie area.

4. Gockie

I wonder how much this will sell for? It looks pretty spacious, modern from the outside/well presented buildings and low rise. 600k is probably a joke... its an auction this weekend, so how much more is the question....

Edit: it's the far side from the station so that's a negative. And with all the facilities I'd have to ask how much is the strata....

87/94-116 Culloden Road Marsfield NSW 2122 87/94-116 Culloden Road Marsfield NSW 2122 - Unit for Sale #124005014 - realestate.com.au

5. Gockie

Doh! Update: Sold for $797k. Very under quoted.

WattleIdo, Jacque and legallyblonde like this.
  6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

If you're willing to buy into an older block you will pick up something renovated- why does it have to be new? Older units often represent better value for money and often have superior positions and lesser strata levy costs.

Easy enough to pick up a 2x1x1 or even 2x2x1 or 3x1x1 unit in several suburbs that might work- agree with @Gockie that Epping is central but also consider a little closer down the line eg: Eastwood, West Ryde etc. Happy hunting!

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

You can find 2-bedder apartments in Strathfield like this one, or this one. No idea what the quality is like or what the body corp fees are though. Both of those were on Parramatta Rd, which would be rather noisy, and the second was by the railway line, but they're close to the station. I used to live not far from the second one years ago, and it was a good spot. But the traffic around there can be busy.

Strathfield station is one of the best for services. I lived there for years, in a couple of different places, and would still be there if I could have afforded to buy there. Lots of fast city trains, and trains on the northern line too. Don't know about timetables to Cheltenham though. And it's central for roads out of town - right on the M4, over the Ryde Bridge to head north, and down King Georges Rd to head south or for the M5.

Mick Butterfield likes this.