70m poof! up in smoke

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I read it.

25th and 32nd per capita...

As I said; it's not a comp, and we do plenty.....Most people do not care that we are not number one...in fact; most people I know want Aus to spend less on others, and more on fixing our own social problems with poor and homeless, etc.

"But while most refugees who are resettled in Australia come through the UN, this isn't the only way it happens.

When it comes to the total number of refugees recognised and resettled by a country, Australia ranks 25th (and 32nd on a per capita basis)."

But; if you wanna point fingers; how about half the UN Council Countries?

I'm soo glad Nikki Haley is in there taking no prisoners; the UN is a joke.

2. Bayview

We are talking about Australia, and we are talking about refugees; not immigrants.

Also; don't confuse illegal border-crossers with immigrants (who are legal and documented)....

That little trick of the Dems, the Liberals and the Leftwing media of dropping the "illegal" off has become their standard phrase. Fake news, and everyone is a wake-up to it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...m/news-story/76d8a01ad528a1be6ff68cf0fd242246

Latest study of refugees settled in Australia - 90% on welfare, 50% never held a job here or home country

There's plenty more; I just picked two

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2017
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Looks like arguments aren't getting me anywhere here, so I'll leave with my closing statement: Treat people like you'd want to be treated. If I was displaced from my home country because of war or persecution, would I then want to settle in a foreign land that has a poor humanitarian record and poor standards of living for refugees or would I attempt to go to a country where there is rule of law, I'd likely be safe and have a reasonably good life once settled. I know which option I'd take, so I don't vilify people for making the very same decision.

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  4. Bayview

All of us here (mostly) treat folks how we would like to be treated....

Your post proves my point;

Aus does plenty in terms of foreign aid and refugee intakes over the years; and your types are never satisfied....

Put a figure on it which would satisfy you;

1. How many $billions per year should we give away to other Countries, and/or spend on resettling more refugees on our home soil?
    2. How many people per year should we let in?

This whole scenario is like the average Family; trying to make ends meet; not poor, but not a lot of week left at the end of the money - Mum and Dad, 3 kids in Primary school - walking down the street, and they come across a homeless man begging on the street....

The very sympathetic Father says; "Let's give this poor bloke $20!".

The Mother; who controls the budget and Bank accounts; interjects and says; "Hang on; we've got groceries to buy, school clothes and text books to buy, rent is due, car needs a service and new tyres, credit card payment is due....Let's give him $5...that's all we can afford."

Your side is the Father; my side is the Mother.

Currently; both sides of our Political Parties are the Father....I don't agree with that...our Political Parties have a responsibility to be like the Mother.

On that note; but off-topic a bit; dopey Mal has just decided to slam the Banks another $1.5B each for being rich...guess who will end up paying? You and I.

5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

6. Bayview

These blokes look like they've been through the wringer....:p

Wouldn't Triggsey's investigations/reports have uncovered all the supposed dodgy stuff if there was any?

What was that muppet Tim Soutphommasane doing all this time?

He'd be right onto it if there was any sniff of dodginess - the fact that he has said or done nothing means there is probably nothing.

Attached Files:

7. Skilled_Migrant

Supreme Court =/= Race Discrimination Commissioner =/= Australian Human Rights Commission

8. Bayview

It doesn't mean the Govt was guilt of anything whatsover;

As one commentator put it last week; the Govt could take it to Court, plead the case to it's entirety (even though possibly innocent) and the Verdict could still go in favour of the Class action...

They were on a hiding to nowhere, so decided to fold and hand over free money to cut their probable losses.

Amazingly; the Govt was thinking of trying to save the taxpayers some money; for once.

9. Skilled_Migrant

• Wasn't it the same government who said 'Those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear' ?
    • Just to clarify: Was it a good investment to pay 70 mil or Poof! Up in the smoke ?

10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

For sure. It'd be much cheaper to house refugees in harbourfront suites at the Shangri La hotel than it is to keep then in the privatised detention centres. Convicted murderers and rapists in Australia get better treatment when they are imprisoned than what we give to refugees.

I completely support the payouts - I would probably give them more. It is a bit rich to be criticising refugees for their behaviour when the actual government, who you would think is held to a higher standard of conduct, is flouting international laws and obligations.

spludgey likes this.
  11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I find the whole issue frustrating, to express it all would make a very long post...
    In the end some are deserving and very appreciative for the assistance our taxes/gov provides, others aren't deserving and simply come here to take advantage of, manipulate our generosity, feel its an entitlement, have no interest in assimilation, arrogant, which to make Australia something it isn't rather than adapting and enjoying everything it is.

I recently watched this, thought others may find it interesting;
    You Can't Ask That - Series 2 Refugees : ABC iview

(Off-topic, this is also a nice one - You Can't Ask That - Series 2 Centenarians : ABC iview)

WattleIdo, Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

God, I love those 'you can't ask that' clips! They are truly amazing. It's hard to compare but the absolute best one for me was the one with the blind people - they were all so HAPPY! For someone with a deaf and blind sister, it was just a joy to watch. Made me bawl like crazy.
    You Can't Ask That - Series 2 Blind People : ABC iview
    Haven't watched these ones yet because I work with refugees. Will have a look. I can see both (many)sides to the discussion. There was perhaps a time when we were a bit too lenient. But in my experience, the overwhelming majority of refugees are genuine and really grateful and love Australians and just want to be loved in return.
    (Loved the oldies).

WestOz and spludgey like this.