70m poof! up in smoke

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I understand your post.
    It reads like something an Abbott/Trump supporter would write, but I'm hoping that I'm misreading your message.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I swing liberal but Im definitely not an Abbot/Trump/Turnbull etcetera supporter. They are all useless with their own agendas.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The last paragraph sums it up:

"However, that such an application could even be contemplated highlights the perversity of Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers. It brings into shocking relief the distinction drawn between the same person as an asylum seeker and as a migrant with the means to invest in Australia’s economy."

Had the refugees not destroyed their documentation in Indonesia, they wouldn't otherwise meet the requirements for migration to the land of Oz.

MTR, WestOz and Bayview like this.
  5. spludgey

Unfortunately your edit has cleared up things.
    I certainly wouldn't trade with them, would you? People died there and were raped (ignoring for a second why they fled their countries to start with), you're making it sound like a holiday with a payout.

Also, I find it a little bit hypocritical when non-indigenous Australians or North Americans talk about "illegal immigrants"...

I should add, that if you're actually concerned about wasting tax dollars, the government has wasted wayyy more than that by having detention centres and ridiculous swap deals in the first place. Would they just abide by the refugee convention and have community detention, the cost would be a fraction of what we're paying.

6. Scott No Mates

If that was the case, they wouldn't need to seek asylum ¹/2 way around the world and got accepted in a nearby country not the 4th or 5th country they stop at.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It's someone with common sense;

why would any Government provide compensation to people who - without invitation - arrive at their Country illegally?

I'm all for helping folks who arrive - to get back to their normal life asap...but to pay a compensation?

It's right up there with being sued by a burgler who breaks into your house, and falls over and breaks their leg.

dabbler, Handyandy, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  8. spludgey

Because Australia breached its legal obligations on the treatment of refugees.

Also, entering a country for asylum is not illegal, you've got to stop listening to Donald, Tony, Marine and Pauline!

Joynz likes this.
  9. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

I think the message is that this type of mistake only makes people want to take risks coming here.

The matter of refugees is a very complicated issue. I think Australia needs to process these "refugees" much more efficiently. The problem I see is the huge grey area of what is a refugee and how it can be proven. Subsequently where do you send non-refugees? I think they need to be punished to deter fake refugees from attempting to enter Australia.

I also feel uncomfortable that my taxes are being wasted - not because of the fact we accept refugees but because our government is extremely inefficient and wasteful.

WestOz, MTR, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bayview

Stopping the boats is a successful first step; as we have seen.
    What amazes me constantly, is how folks can get all the way from the Middle East was zones, all the way to Aus (after leaving Indonesia by boat), without any paperwork; which would be required to enter other Countries along the way?

Doesn't that seem a bit fishy?

WestOz, MTR and Scott No Mates like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Of course, that's why they use fishing boats.

MTR, Ed Barton and Bayview like this.
  12. Bayview

Please don't drag up that guilt trip argument.

I am not ashamed of our Country; I celebrate it.

Our Country is a great Country - proof in the pudding is that many folks from all over the world want to come here, have come here and still come here both illegally and legally.

The Country has now got a long history of welcoming of migrants from all over the world, of a great Law system and culture - we also take in many refugees annually, and that won't stop.

WestOz and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.....or worse the racist card and who you vote for is no one's business but your own.

Handyandy and Bayview like this.
  14. spludgey

I'd agree, but this thread is essentially a thread about politics, so it's quite hard to leave politics out of it!

We take bugger all and we're not complying to the Refugee Convention.

Joynz likes this.
  15. Bayview

Where does Australia rank on its refugee intake?

Given our Geographic location; we do fine.

It's not a comp to see who can be the best, and I am not ashamed of what we do for the rest of the World in aid etc.

Plenty do far less.

16. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Ah it's good to see some in his thread have had the foresight of being born in Australia/the west and not in some war torn country, filled with misery, poverty, desperation and atrocities all around. These people should have given some more thought about where they wanted to be born for god sake! And now they want to escape their condition and come here?!

Invest_noob and spludgey like this.
  17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Why haven't these folk sought some sort of order for them to be let into Australia rather than just playing the legal pokies?

Bayview likes this.
  18. spludgey

You stopped reading after this, didn't you?

The vast majority of countries aren't taking their refugees through the UNHCR. If you continue reading, the article paints a different picture, in my opinion.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

BV

US number 1, did you post on Trump thread....

Here are the countries that resettled the most refugees through the UNHCR in 2015:

1. United States (66,500)

20. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Australia accepting genuine refugees.

What I don't get is this:
    If someone is capable of escaping their country (where they are subject to persecution), then why spend thousands flying to Indonesia and more to get on a dodgy fishing boat to come to Australia and try and claim refugee status?

Why can't they just get on a plane and fly here to claim their refugee status? It would cost much less than going through the people smugglers.. and their claim could be processed rather quickly because it would be easier for our immigration authority to determine whether they are who they say they are.

So far I've not heard a coherent answer to this question. Can someone please enlighten me?

WestOz, Bayview and MTR like this.